Honored Contributor

Re: 'Instant Pot' Sued For Exploding/Burns

@sidsmom wrote:

It’s literally impossible for any modern day, reputable (read: no knock offs) electric pressure cooker to be opened while under high pressure. 

I have a feeling there’s aloooooot more to this story than what’s being reported.  Just the fact the brand name is continually mentioned is the first tip-off. 

@sidsmom 

LOL!

Okay, I didn't realize that you were a consumer products testing expert to make such a bold claim, but I should have..... (ahem)

And you're probably right, this is just a conspiracy theory against Instant Pot, much like Area 51 and OJ and Casey Anthony were innocent.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:
There is no way I'd want a pressure cooker. I remember some exploding beets from an old fashioned cooker when I was young.

@AuntG , I remember hearing all the horror stories from the past, and I don't think they have changed that much!

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

It’s literally impossible for any modern day, reputable (read: no knock offs) electric pressure cooker to be opened while under high pressure. 

I have a feeling there’s aloooooot more to this story than what’s being reported.  Just the fact the brand name is continually mentioned is the first tip-off. 

@sidsmom 

LOL!

Okay, I didn't realize that you were a consumer products testing expert to make such a bold claim, but I should have..... (ahem)

And you're probably right, this is just a conspiracy theory against Instant Pot, much like Area 51 and OJ and Casey Anthony were innocent.

Huh?

Let’s be reminded....there was a young couple who ran out of gas & a homeless man gave them his last few dollars....a GoFundMe started and viola!

It was not true.  

How did this girl get her injuries? I don’t know but I guarantee it’s not because of an ‘exploding’ reputable modern day electric pressure cooker.

I lean towards ‘not true.’

Honored Contributor

Remember back when people were getting burned because the water they heated in the microwave exploded?  Scientifically, it could be a similar situation.  Can't tell from what was posted here if the soup was thick but this article might be helpful for anyone like me who is new to (and intimidated by) pressure cooking.  However, I would never let a child near one, much less let a child open it.

https://www.hippressurecooking.com/consumer-alert-food-explosion-after-pressure-release/?fbclid=IwAR...

Honored Contributor

We use the best SS stovetop pressure cookers and will stick with them. They are constructed these days totally different than your mother's or grandmother's PC.

We've tried electric for ease, but it didn't do as good a job. We also like to stick with one-function appliances rather than multi-use.

I don't know what to think about this report, but it does raise a concern.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom 

All of the independent testing shown on many reputable sites, showing that 1 out of 3 Instant Pots did allow it to be opened before pressure was fully released, should not be ignored nor treated like a conspiracy theory.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe the testing shows a flaw with the valve float that says this pot is no longer pressurized, when it actually is and it needs to be corrected by the manufacturer?

My post was only to warn users of the Instant Pot that this may be a problem and to take caution.

Nothing more, nothing less......

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I am afraid of these cookers. Will stick with my crockpot. 

Respected Contributor

I’ve had pressure cookers during all of my adult life. First a stove top version and in the last fifteen years the electric versions, all Cooks Essentials.

Never had one explode. I’ve never used an Instant Pot.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Why would anyone try to open it while it was still under pressure?

And there is already a warning to keep your face and fingers away from the vent when releasing it.  

This is what I'm trying to understand.

@haddon9 

The Insta Pot indicated that the pressure had been released:

" It beeps it's done. We manually vent it and steam comes out telling you that it is un-pressurizing,' Mary said. 'The valve float drops, and we go to open it and put the kale in. We were just going to add kale. And it exploded. Completely exploded.'

@KingstonsMom   Wow!  That is scary!  I have an instant pot but have only used it a few times.  Never had a problem but I don't use it for a long time...only about 10 minutes before my food was cooked.

I wonder what made it explode if the steam & pressure was already vented?

Esteemed Contributor

Well I’m still trying to get over the part where mom says “everyone” gathers around the island while the pot is being opened. That just sounds like an accident waiting to happen. I’m not at all afraid of my Instant Pot, but I treat it with respect, knowing that I’m dealing with pressure and hot liquids. It sits on a counter and I keep my distance when  venting and opening. The instructions tell you to open the lid away from you. Like another poster, I use a long handled utensil to turn the little knob to vent. I’m sorry for the little girl, but no 11 year old of mine would be handling a pressure cooker. SMH

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett