Respected Contributor

Re: 'Instant Pot' Sued For Exploding/Burns

I went back and read the OP. This happened when the child was 9 years old. Any adult who lets a 9 year old open a pressure cooker or manually relase the steam is foolish and negligent. That poor child. I have a 9 year old granddaughter. She is not allowed around a stove, a coffee pot or anything with hot liquid let alone a pot under pressure. Then the mom says they hang around the island while this thing is cooking. This woman sounds like she needs a lesson in child safety.  

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:
There is no way I'd want a pressure cooker. I remember some exploding beets from an old fashioned cooker when I was young.

@AuntG  I still use an old fashioned pressure cooker!

I remember as a kid, my grandmother making applesauce in one and it exploded.

Esteemed Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

I went back and read the OP. This happened when the child was 9 years old. Any adult who lets a 9 year old open a pressure cooker or manually relase the steam is foolish and negligent. That poor child. I have a 9 year old granddaughter. She is not allowed around a stove, a coffee pot or anything with hot liquid let alone a pot under pressure. Then the mom says they hang around the island while this thing is cooking. This woman sounds like she needs a lesson in child safety.  

I guess it is nothing short of a miracle that I've managed to live more than 70 years since by the time I was 9 I was cooking entire meals, including using an old fashioned stove top pressure cooker and baking foods in the oven.

When I meet up with my mother again I'll be sure to tell her she was foolish, negligent and needed a lesson in child safety.

Broad brush strokes.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Esteemed Contributor

I belong to 3  Instant Pot Facebook groups for the recipes. I can't believe some of the stupid things  some people do with them.

There are several who have placed their unit on their electric stovetop when it was still hot .... melted the bottom of the Pot.....poured liquid in it without the stainless steel insert and then wondered if the Pot was still 'useable'.

A couple of people tried to bring it to pressure after forgetting to put the plastic seal back in after soaking it .

It WILL shoot liquid all over once the valve is released IF you have too much liquid in it or fill it too full.

You have to use care and follow directions  and I would't let a young child around one.

Respected Contributor

@Marp  I am 69 and was raised in an era with no seat belts, no car seats, floor furnaces,, table fans with openings large enough to put your hand inside. medicines and cleaning supplies kept in unlocked cabinets.  But thankfullly we have come along way since the 50's. I would hate to see my little granddaughter burned because I was too lazy get up and turn off the stove or release the pressure cooker steam. Yes that mother was negligent and foolish. Her 9 year old daughter paid the price not the mother. If you feel differently that's your prerogative. 

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@AuntG wrote:
There is no way I'd want a pressure cooker. I remember some exploding beets from an old fashioned cooker when I was young.

@AuntG  I still use an old fashioned pressure cooker!

I remember as a kid, my grandmother making applesauce in one and it exploded.

@CelticCrafter, as you know, though, your stove-top pressure cooker is not your grandmother's pressure cooker. :-) Today's ones have extensive safety features that make it virtually impossible to cause an explosion.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

'I went into the kitchen to help my mom cook her soup because I love cooking with my mom. And when we vented it, I was opening it, and it just exploded,' Caroline told Fox31.

There you go. It would have been helpful to read the manual and the warnings.

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Is this the first reported injury?  I will reserve judgement until more information is available

I would never allow a child anywhere near a pot ,that uses pressure. I  grew up with too many pressure cooker  horror stories. It scared me to death, and I have never used one ,and never will

I would simply heat the soup up in a pan. How hard is that?

@cherry It would seem to me they weren't reheating soup, but making it from scratch or largely from scratch.  Doing so in the Instant Pot is much faster than on the stovetop if you are using vegetables/meat/grains that need to be cooked through or infuse your broth.  We make soups and stews in our Instant Pot all the time, typically in 30 minutes or under, instead of hours to get that slow-simmered flavor.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mother had a pressure cooker when I was a kid and used it all the time; she was fearless but I was terrified of that thing....it had the valve thingy that would rock and spew steam in a tall stream for a long time...no accidents I can remember but have never wanted a pressure cooker of any kind. It sounds like the accident OP cited is legit, I hope the little girl recovers fully.