Respected Contributor

Re: 'Instant Pot' Sued For Exploding/Burns

For those of you who own an Instant Pot, I was able to find two recalls. The first was for the Instant pot Smart (Bluetooth enabled) purchased before 6/1/15 due to possibility of electrical shock. The second was for Instant Pot Gem 65 8 in 1 multicooker, oval in shape. They cost $80 and were sold exclusively at Walmart between 8/17 and 1/18. Recalled because they can overheat and melt. If you have any other model, you appear to be safe. 

Honored Contributor

@chessylady 

No one said that there was a "recall" of the Instant Pot, but that there is a lawsuit.

Google 'Instant Pot lawsuit', not 'recall'.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I was doing a public service for those who might be concerned about the safety of their Instant Pot. If Instant Pot did those two recalls, it is reasonable to assume they would do others if "exploding" Instant Pots were a common occurance. They would rather recall than pay expensive lawsuits.

Valued Contributor

If you read the article about testing you will see one out of three were able to be opened.

Honored Contributor

I've had hot liquid pop out of a crock pot and burn me. Fortunately the burn wasn't serious but it was very painful and scary. Now I'm extremely careful when using it due to that experience.

Respected Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

'I'm sticking with' my slow cooker.

(Only when I'm home, that is.

I'm one who doesn't leave anything 'ON' while I'm away. 

Washer, dryer, oven, etc.) 

Years ago I had an experience with a clothes dryer that continued to smolder after the OFF setting. 

I happened to walk by the dryer a couple of hours after using it.  The area felt hot, and the dryer was piping hot to the touch.

Had to have a neighbor haul it outside.  Something about a faulty thermostat or switch or whatever. 

Not a good thought if it happened during the night/sleeping hours.

I unplug (and/or switch OFF power strips) EVERYTHING each night.

I am with you.  Nothing on when i am gone, or overnight.  Only exception would be radio.  Had a friends house burn down from a plugged in Coffee Maker while she was at work.  No pressure cooker, one blew up when i was a kid.  Sounds like Insta has faulty valves.

Respected Contributor

If the gaskets are in good condition and installed properly, the lid can’t be opened while the pot is pressurized. You cannot debate the laws of physics.
Honored Contributor

I mentioned this story to my friend last night.

The first thing he said was, ”she probably tipped it over and

the hot liquid got all over her.”  I pressed the exploding angle

but he wasn’t buying it.  

Esteemed Contributor

Ironically, it’s all those slapstick comedies that frightened me from childhood onward when it came to pressure cookers. They were always exploding so I never had any desire to go near them. It’s tragic that a young girl was hurt so badly for real. She’ll have permanent scars, outside and inside, for the rest of her life.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought an Insta-Pot this year, and I love it. It doesn't just pressure cook. It also browns and slow cooks. If you follow the directions and the warnings, it will work fine. If it exploded, I am guessing directions were not followed.