Esteemed Contributor

Re: 'Instant Pot' Sued For Exploding/Burns

@nomless wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

My gut feeling is....if they were using an off brand like

Cook’s Essential (an unknown brand), there probably

wouldn’t have been an accident and lawsuit. 

Big pockets drive a lot of unfounded claims.

It’s impossible to open that lid while under pressure.

@sidsmom 

Obviously not, according to independent studies, which are documented by video at the link.

IMO, for you to insinuate that the accident would not have occurred if it was an "unknown brand" is ludicrous!

Who would have their child burned to fabricate a lawsuit because the brand name has "Big pockets"???

That is NOT what she wrote. She dIdn't write that the accident wouldn't have happened with an unknown brand, but that a lawsuit might  not have been filed if it was an  unknown brand.

@sidsmom wrote:

Sure sounds to me like she was saying the accident would not have occurred if it were an "unknown brand".

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

It’s literally impossible for any modern day, reputable (read: no knock offs) electric pressure cooker to be opened while under high pressure. 

I have a feeling there’s aloooooot more to this story than what’s being reported.  Just the fact the brand name is continually mentioned is the first tip-off. 

Honored Contributor

Is this the first reported injury?  I will reserve judgement until more information is available

I would never allow a child anywhere near a pot ,that uses pressure. I  grew up with too many pressure cooker  horror stories. It scared me to death, and I have never used one ,and never will

I would simply heat the soup up in a pan. How hard is that?

Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@nomless wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@sidsmom 

Obviously not, according to independent studies, which are documented by video at the link.

IMO, for you to insinuate that the accident would not have occurred if it was an "unknown brand" is ludicrous!

Who would have their child burned to fabricate a lawsuit because the brand name has "Big pockets"???

That is NOT what she wrote. She dIdn't write that the accident wouldn't have happened with an unknown brand, but that a lawsuit might  not have been filed if it was an  unknown brand.

@sidsmom wrote:

Sure sounds to me like she was saying the accident would not have occurred if it were an "unknown brand".

Dang, yes, I was wrong.

Yikes, that makes 2 threads I've misread today.  Guess I'll stop reading here and go do something else!

Honored Contributor

Daily Mail's photos seem to always be the best, no matter who, what incident, when, etc. 

I still haven't figured out why (their photos are high quality, etc.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I want more information on the science part of it.  If the pressure valve button drops down because there isn't sufficient pressure to keep it up, how is there enough pressure to blow off the lid?  Was that valve really down?  It would have to be up.

Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@nomless wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@sidsmom 

@sidsmom wrote:

That's exactly what was said...big as the nose on your face!

Honored Contributor

The article states 'I went into the kitchen to help my mom cook her soup because I love cooking with my mom. And when we vented it, I was opening it, and it just exploded,' Caroline told Fox31.

She should not have been trying to open it until the pressure had released.

Even though some firefighters tested some & the lid did come off while still under pressure it's not suppose to.

I feel bad for the girl but mom should have been watching more closely what her daughter was doing.

I don't agree with the lawsuit since she said she vented it, I was opening it??? Mom needs to tell her daughter not to open a lid to a pressure cooker until the pressure has all been released.

IMO Instant Pot & the girl are both at fault.

We generally let ours release pressure naturally.

Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Why would anyone try to open it while it was still under pressure?

And there is already a warning to keep your face and fingers away from the vent when releasing it.  

This is what I'm trying to understand.

@haddon9 

The Insta Pot indicated that the pressure had been released:

" It beeps it's done. We manually vent it and steam comes out telling you that it is un-pressurizing,' Mary said. 'The valve float drops, and we go to open it and put the kale in. We were just going to add kale. And it exploded. Completely exploded.'

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I have one of those and I've never even opened the box it came it.

I always think I'm going to use this stuff and then just give it away.

I might go looking for it this weekend.  Thanks for the heads up.