Valued Contributor

Re: I work at Walmart - August 29 Update

Local WM has one door to enter and exit with 6 handicap parking spaces which are always occupied.  Another door, which is closed, has 6 handicap parking spaces not being used.  Apparently, they think it's not a problem for handicapped people to make that hike to the one open door.  Several weeks ago, I called the corporate office to make them aware of it and suggest they might move those handicap parking spaces to the other end for the duration of the insanity.  No change has been made.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee  and @ValuSkr    our local WM has the one-way markers.  However, I would say that 90% of the customers ignore them.   The WM employees just stand there and watch.  If the one way markers aren't going to be enforced they shouldn't even bother having them.   In NJ wearing masks in stores is mandatory, but I have seen plenty of people in our local WM who don't.  All other stores in our area strictly enforce the mask requirement.  

Honored Contributor

@KATIE ANN 

I know what you mean.  At first, I would not use self checkout at all.  For 2 reasons - one being I thought this was taking away much needed jobs.  The other one being, I felt I am paying plenty of money for my products and the least you can do is check my products out and put them in bags for me!  Then, later, when the lines became so long, and DH and I aren't the most healthy, we started using the self checkout because it went much quicker. NOW, with the virus thing, I am experiencing what you are experiencing.  Even with going to the early morning time for seniors, they might have 1 to 2 regular cashiers and that is it.  I won't use self checkout then because since I only go every 2 or 3 weeks now, I have a very large order and it is tedious to do so.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

Thank you.  Stay safe.  And I hope idiots aren't harassing you.

Respected Contributor

So nice living in a small town and considering Walmart employees friends.  Our store has never reached over capacity where customers had to wait to get in.  My goodness, the store is huge!!  They also have an employee who will give a mask to those who forgot, and the employees do not enforce the mask mandate, thank goodness.  I don't like seeing them have to do that.  During this entire time, I notice customers are very courteous about keeping distance.  Those "one way", "wrong way" signs mean nothing, but has not caused any issues no matter how crowded the store is.  To be honest, it took me awhile to even notice them.  I get in there and take care of business and get out.  I understand closing off entrances, but also think it's pretty silly for stores who have never gone over the number of people allowed.  They are wasting employees who are working the front.  I don't like everyone, every place, being treated the same.  The areas we live in are not all the same. 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I heard them tell someone the other day that you cannot use cash or check at the self checkouts. Is that crazy or what. Stores have to pay a percentage on credit and debit cards.

Sams club is doing the same thing.

Contributor

Just an fyi..when a customer tries to use a check at the self-checkout, it can be done. The SCO assistant just has to suspend the transaction, then go over to the register within the self-checkout, and scan the suspend receipt. When this is done, the items that were already recorded will come up. Then the customer gives the cashier a blank check, they put in the check amount in the register, press auto check and the check is printed with the info and voided and the cashier presses clear and the customer gets the voided check back with their receipt. Done deal, which takes about 4 minutes.

Respected Contributor

@Libra2 

are these customers using food stamps or an ebt  debit card

Respected Contributor

As I was leaving Walmart an elderly man came in. The lady at the door said sir you have to wear a mask. He said but  I don't look good in one. She laughed and said neither do I but we have to wear them. Everyone laughed in the area.

Esteemed Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

are these customers using food stamps or an ebt  debit card

In NYS Amazon accepts EBT payments for people eligible for SNAP, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.