Esteemed Contributor

I was 5'5" my whole life, at age 54 I lost an inch and last September I went for my physical and the medical assistant measured me at 5' 3 3/4" , I said let's just call it 5'4"  OKAY??!!   LOL

Honored Contributor

I'm in my 40's.  Still 5'4" but I'm assuming I will be 5'1" by the time I'm in my 70's.  Fact of life.  Everyone shrinks.  3 to 4 inches I've heard.  My husband is over 6'.  He claims he still is, but I've already fancied him shorter.

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I was always 5'7 in. tall and never had to alter any pants or other clothes. It seems clothes were made for a 5'7 in. person. Then I was measured at 5'6 in. (I thought they made a mistake) and now just under 5'6 in.   EEK!   I'm shrinking.  I know this happens as we age (I am now 71) but how many inches do we have to give away?   LOL   Cat Mad

You wrote my post for me exactly....except I am 76.

I don't have osteoporosis as all my Dexa scans prove.  Matter of fact, my PCP says I have the best results of all her patients.

My annoyance: they seem to manufacture pants that are way too long.  Are some folks using stilts ?  At least 4-5 inches of fabric on the floor when I place the slacks next to me !  I must thank these folks as I have saved $ by putting them back on the rack !!!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

I think my house is being bugged! I just measured myself yesterday and found out instead of the normal 5'9" I always was, I am now barely 5'7! Pants are being made longer now to allow for the high heels, which I never wear, so it's hard to buy online any longer. In my early teens, I couldn't find pants long enough and had to go to Levi's that sold by waist and length, not regular numerical sizes. I don't mind being this height, but I have to say it was a real shock. Oh, and I am 70.  Why can't my sidesways inches get shorter instead of my lengthwise inches...another point to ponder in my spare time!

Respected Contributor

I have lost an inch too.  From 5' 5" to 5' 4".😩😩😩😩😩😩😩

I just watched an episode of Andy Grittith where Barney needed to be a bit taller for his physical to be a deputy.  They used some sort of neck harness and he had to hang from a door frame......🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I am tempted to look for one of these contraptions or maybe that Teeter Inversion thing or the one where you hang from your feet.  To stretch me back out to 5'5"..........Kind of like trying to unwind and stretch out those old telephone cords we used to have...........

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Valued Contributor

Re: I'm shrinking!!!!!

[ Edited ]

I was 5' 5-1/2" all of my adult life.  Now, as I've aged, I'm barely 5' 4".  I can no longer reach the top shelves at the super market.  :smileyfrustrated:

Honored Contributor

My husband has always towered over me, but now he is almost eye level when I wear heels.  He has decompressed discs in his back and has probably lost 2 inches in height over the years.

My poor mother doesn't have back issues, but she is shrinking in height.  She is this tiny woman now, who used to stand tall and scold us for slouching. (!)

They say yoga and pilates helps with your posture to the point of gaining back your height, if it's the way you're standing.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Me too!  I've lost about 1 inch.  I'm okay with it.  I never liked being tall, so taking 1 inch away is fine with me.  Unfortunately, my hubby has lost an inch or two so I guess I will always be the tallest one.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I was always 5'7 in. tall and never had to alter any pants or other clothes. It seems clothes were made for a 5'7 in. person. Then I was measured at 5'6 in. (I thought they made a mistake) and now just under 5'6 in.   EEK!   I'm shrinking.  I know this happens as we age (I am now 71) but how many inches do we have to give away?   LOL   Cat Mad

I'm now 5'5"  I use to be 5'7" 73.  

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

I'm now 5'5"  I use to be 5'7" 73.  

Wouldn't it be great to lose body inches the same way!!!!