Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Yes, I've lost an inch, I think.  The problem is, I have gained it back around my middle!

Me too.

Esteemed Contributor

I was 5' 6 3/4", now 5'4".  Weight stayed the same, so broader.

Trusted Contributor

I was always 5'6 1/4" and now I'm 5'6.  Shrinking happens with age. Some people shrink more than others.  

Trusted Contributor

I used to be 5'4" when I was younger.  I just had my yearly physical last week and measured at 5'2".  😬

A pair of long handled tongs have become my new favorite kitchen gadget.  Not for cooking mind you, but for getting things from the top shelf of the kitchen cabinets!  I also bought a step stool to use when the tongs won't cut it.  

As a friend said to me, "You're not shrinking.  You're just settling."  I think she's right, because those two inches in height have settled on my hips!  .....i yi yi.....

Super Contributor

When visiting my neighbor I noticed she had three peep holes in her front door.  Knowing she was the original owner and she built after her husband passed, I just had to ask her about it.  She laughed and said, in the last 15 years of living here I keep shrinking and have to put in a new peep hole so I can see!  

Trusted Contributor

Used to be 5'2".  Now I'm 4'10"!! Getting tired of shortening my pants!

Trusted Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

I started at five-three, and I am five-two at 76.  I have been stable for years.  I was diagnosed with osteoporosis through a bone scan years ago, after unsuccessfully trying to combat with routine medication.  

I ended up at a major university bone clinic, and it has been a gift.  I get a Prolia shot two times a year, and my intake of Vitamin D and Calcium was adjusted.  My advice to anyone taking Calcium is to check with your physician.  I had been following the suggested amount recommended by the manufacturer on the bottle.  I was told to lessen the amount, as it has been found that too much calcium can have a negative effect.  I believe it may affect your heart, but you might want to check on this.

I have no Ill effects from Prolia, now am a step down from osteoporosis, and will continue my advised treatment as long as I can.  I hope I never have to suffer a broken hip.

Yes, Calcium can attach to the aorta, not a good thing!

Honored Contributor

@arrabella wrote:

@PamfromCT wrote:

I started at five-three, and I am five-two at 76.  I have been stable for years.  I was diagnosed with osteoporosis through a bone scan years ago, after unsuccessfully trying to combat with routine medication.  

I ended up at a major university bone clinic, and it has been a gift.  I get a Prolia shot two times a year, and my intake of Vitamin D and Calcium was adjusted.  My advice to anyone taking Calcium is to check with your physician.  I had been following the suggested amount recommended by the manufacturer on the bottle.  I was told to lessen the amount, as it has been found that too much calcium can have a negative effect.  I believe it may affect your heart, but you might want to check on this.

I have no Ill effects from Prolia, now am a step down from osteoporosis, and will continue my advised treatment as long as I can.  I hope I never have to suffer a broken hip.

Yes, Calcium can attach to the aorta, not a good thing!

Not according to the Mayo Clinic, @arrabella :

• Calcium buildup on the valve. Calcium is a mineral found in your blood. As blood repeatedly flows over the aortic valve, calcium deposits can build up on the heart valves (aortic valve calcification).

•  
  •  

The calcium deposits may never cause any problems. Aortic valve stenosis that's related to increasing age and calcium deposit buildup usually doesn't cause symptoms until ages 70 or 80. However, in some people — particularly those with a congenital aortic valve defect — calcium deposits result in stiffening of the valve cusps at a younger age.

•  
  •  

Heart valve calcium deposits aren't linked to taking calcium tablets or drinking calcium-fortified products.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Re: I'm shrinking!!!!!

[ Edited ]

Me too! I'm also in the "shrinking women's club!" I was always 5'3". Then in my 60's, I am now 5'2"! I can no longer reach things in my kitchen cabinets! This is causing a great deal of clutter since I have to leave the spices I frequently use on the counter or use a step stool to reach them! I wanted to get a Teeter to stretch but was advised by my Ophthalmologist not to due to cornea transplants.This getting old is no joke! Things are reversing in all the wrong places! Lol! Hair where I don't  want it. No hair where I want it. Arthritis creaking and crackling all over the place. Everything from my eyelids to my chest facing downward and getting shorter! I just wish I'd shrink the other way! The pounds just seem to pile on! 😂

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

I first noticed the "incredible shrinking woman" here,  when I had to start throwing my towels over the shower bar.  

I use the "arm extention" as I call it, that my dad used, when he dropped something.  It wouldn't hold a jar in it, but it will allow me to reach light things I need to.  

Bet Amazon or even a local store that sells things for seniors, could sell them.