Honored Contributor

@qualitygal   You hit the nail on the head!   Yes, take 2 inches from the hips and while you're at it how about 2 in. from the waist?   LOL

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: I'm shrinking!!!!!

[ Edited ]

@PamfromCT : I was 5 '4 1/2" - now 5 '3" and probably shrinking.  Age 66 . Praying that I don't shrink more because  I would be to short to use my recumbent bike that I have the seat adjusted on the lowest setting.Should have seen DH the other day trying to measure my height 😁🤷‍♀️ - one would think - not complicated.Two years ago insurance approved for Prolia shot but then rejected claim that has been resubmitted zillion times. Doctor office keeps billing me for the $1900 that I refuse to pay. Haven't had another shot. I am one of few people that can't take calcium for various reasons. I have had several bone density test indicated osteoporosis but hasn't change. Just this week received another bill for the prolia shot and will call next week because I haven't felt like talking with them.

Trusted Contributor

My legs are the same length as before so inseam remains the same; it's my spine that has changed though I'm not in any pain. I believe I'm measuring an inch shorter according to that pull-out metal thing at my doctor's office scale.   

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@arrabella wrote:

@PamfromCT wrote:

I started at five-three, and I am five-two at 76.  I have been stable for years.  I was diagnosed with osteoporosis through a bone scan years ago, after unsuccessfully trying to combat with routine medication.  

I ended up at a major university bone clinic, and it has been a gift.  I get a Prolia shot two times a year, and my intake of Vitamin D and Calcium was adjusted.  My advice to anyone taking Calcium is to check with your physician.  I had been following the suggested amount recommended by the manufacturer on the bottle.  I was told to lessen the amount, as it has been found that too much calcium can have a negative effect.  I believe it may affect your heart, but you might want to check on this.

I have no Ill effects from Prolia, now am a step down from osteoporosis, and will continue my advised treatment as long as I can.  I hope I never have to suffer a broken hip.

Yes, Calcium can attach to the aorta, not a good thing!

Not according to the Mayo Clinic, @arrabella :

• Calcium buildup on the valve. Calcium is a mineral found in your blood. As blood repeatedly flows over the aortic valve, calcium deposits can build up on the heart valves (aortic valve calcification).

•  
  •  

The calcium deposits may never cause any problems. Aortic valve stenosis that's related to increasing age and calcium deposit buildup usually doesn't cause symptoms until ages 70 or 80. However, in some people — particularly those with a congenital aortic valve defect — calcium deposits result in stiffening of the valve cusps at a younger age.

•  
  •  

Heart valve calcium deposits aren't linked to taking calcium tablets or drinking calcium-fortified products.

@suzyQ3, That would be good news for many people.  All I know is what I was advised, and I have no heart issues whatsoever.  I will likely run it by my GP and my cardiologist when I see him this fall.  I have a yearly exam even though no issues.  If I ever do, I have him and his other docs in his practice to fall on.  The bone loss center I go to was quite adamant about the calcium issue.  Time will tell.

Esteemed Contributor

@SouthernBee, Sorry for all your issues with those insurance people.  I know that Prolia is very expensive!  The bone center I go to likely can afford the initial outlay for the drug while they wait for reimbursement from insurance.  The initial outlay is very much for an individual practice to lay out for many patients, while awaiting slow insurance reimbursement. Your doctor should do the fighting for you!  Your doctor has your scan results to show your need.  

This type of thing makes me crazy.  You deserve the very best of care, dear Bee.

Esteemed Contributor

@EastCoastGal wrote:

Hi @Katcat1 ... I'm 72 and l started shrinking several years ago! Last time I went to the doctors office, a few months ago, l shrunk even more! I never made it to 5'. Now I'm 4' 9 1/2"!! At my tallest l was 4' 11 3/4". Now I'm over 2" shorter! She wants me to have a bone density test. I don't feel anything is wrong...but now l REALLY feel short! 

I'm now 80 yrs young. Many years ago, I was 4'11 - 3/4". Several years agp. I went to the doctor's office and, for some reason, they took my height and said I was 4'10". I said NO Way!!! So I shrunk almost 2". Now I feel even shorter. When I walk outside to my mailbox - that's when I feel very close to the ground.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Yes, I've lost an inch, I think.  The problem is, I have gained it back around my middle!

It had to go somewhere.

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@arrabella wrote:

@PamfromCT wrote:

I started at five-three, and I am five-two at 76.  I have been stable for years.  I was diagnosed with osteoporosis through a bone scan years ago, after unsuccessfully trying to combat with routine medication.  

I ended up at a major university bone clinic, and it has been a gift.  I get a Prolia shot two times a year, and my intake of Vitamin D and Calcium was adjusted.  My advice to anyone taking Calcium is to check with your physician.  I had been following the suggested amount recommended by the manufacturer on the bottle.  I was told to lessen the amount, as it has been found that too much calcium can have a negative effect.  I believe it may affect your heart, but you might want to check on this.

I have no Ill effects from Prolia, now am a step down from osteoporosis, and will continue my advised treatment as long as I can.  I hope I never have to suffer a broken hip.

Yes, Calcium can attach to the aorta, not a good thing!

Not according to the Mayo Clinic, @arrabella :

• Calcium buildup on the valve. Calcium is a mineral found in your blood. As blood repeatedly flows over the aortic valve, calcium deposits can build up on the heart valves (aortic valve calcification).

•  
  •  

The calcium deposits may never cause any problems. Aortic valve stenosis that's related to increasing age and calcium deposit buildup usually doesn't cause symptoms until ages 70 or 80. However, in some people — particularly those with a congenital aortic valve defect — calcium deposits result in stiffening of the valve cusps at a younger age.

•  
  •  

Heart valve calcium deposits aren't linked to taking calcium tablets or drinking calcium-fortified products.

@suzyQ3, That would be good news for many people.  All I know is what I was advised, and I have no heart issues whatsoever.  I will likely run it by my GP and my cardiologist when I see him this fall.  I have a yearly exam even though no issues.  If I ever do, I have him and his other docs in his practice to fall on.  The bone loss center I go to was quite adamant about the calcium issue.  Time will tell.

@PamfromCT, too much calcium CAN have some adverse effects. But I was replying only to the poster's saying that it can attach to the aorta.

It sounds as if you are getting excellent care!

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@EastCoastGal wrote:

Hi @Katcat1 ... I'm 72 and l started shrinking several years ago! Last time I went to the doctors office, a few months ago, l shrunk even more! I never made it to 5'. Now I'm 4' 9 1/2"!! At my tallest l was 4' 11 3/4". Now I'm over 2" shorter! She wants me to have a bone density test. I don't feel anything is wrong...but now l REALLY feel short! 

I'm now 80 yrs young. Many years ago, I was 4'11 - 3/4". Several years agp. I went to the doctor's office and, for some reason, they took my height and said I was 4'10". I said NO Way!!! So I shrunk almost 2". Now I feel even shorter. When I walk outside to my mailbox - that's when I feel very close to the ground.

Hi @kivah  ... I know! As if we weren't short enough to begin with... both of us 4' 11 3/4!! ...but we could walk together and not feel short! I can't reach anything in my new kitchen! I can reach the first shelf but not the back! When my cousin came over to see my home she asked why my cabinets are so high because hers are lower...for her height (the same as me.) I never thought to tell my brother to have my cabinets put in lower!! So... l have a stool right by the cabinets to use on a daily basis. Oh well... as the old saying goes... Good things come in small packages! You and me! 😊

Honored Contributor

I was 5'8"...now 5'7"...sigh.