Honored Contributor

I have come to the decision I just might be too nice for my own good. Two reasons why

1. I moved into a new apartment on the second floor of a two family house a new tennant moved in about 3 weeks ago (I moved in 7 weeks ago). I take in the mail sort it and leave it on a table in kind of a little foyer (she doesn't just takes hers). Three packages were delivered one day to this new tennant and left on the porch (they were bulky). I struggled to bring them in and left them at her door (she was home), never got a thank you maybe she thought Amazon delivery brought them in.

2. I get a call on a landline phone comes up the police department, he starts to leave a message so I pick it up. He has the correct number but the woman he was looking for doesn't live here. He asks if this is the number he dialed I say I don't like to give out my number, he says it came up police department, I say how do I know it's not a scam. He is very persistent and I figure he'll keep calling me back so I say yes. He then says I don't believe you (that I don't know this woman) why would she give this number! I say maybe it was written incorrectly so I thought that was the end of it, it wasn't! I get a call today by the same detective leaving me a message about the order of protection I filed. I call back and told him I told you yesterday you had the wrong person, I also told him I didn't appreciate him calling me a liar. I said why isn't she calling YOU, he said good question. He gets my name (which I shouldn't have to give as I am not involved but he is insistent again). He asks how long I have this number, 7 weeks. He says he doesn't know why she would give an old number, he will have to go to her house to investigate, oh and he says I'll probably get more calls on this matter. 

My mother raised me to be kind, helpful, and polite I never thought those would be flaws in my character.

Honored Contributor

scary!

Respected Contributor

Yep, @Jordan2   way too nice.  You should never give out personal information to anyone on the phone.  Scammers can make any name or number come up on the phone screen.  We have a policy in our home, we don't know the number showing up on the screen, we don't answer it.  If it is a telemarketer or someone we don't know we block the number. If it is important they leave a message.  Also, I would stop bringing in packages/mail to the new neighbor until you know her better.  You never know what she may think you are doing to her stuff.  Just take care of yourself till things are more familar with the neighbor.

Honored Contributor

@Rockycoast this really was a detective, I didn't want to get on his bad side, he could make trouble for me. I told him I didn't have to call him back I was being nice and didn't want something bad to happen to the woman.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2   It's good to be polite and kind, but it's also just as good to be protective of yourself!

There's absolutely nothing wrong about not answer your phone if you don't recognize the caller and certainly there's nothing protective about answering that number a second time!  Please. if your phone line allows -  block that number now.

PS -  your mother may not have taught you all the skills you need for today;s world.  That's not a criticism of her - I'm probably old enough to be your mother.  We didn't grow up in a world like the one we now live in.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2  This doesn't feel right to me. I would be very careful. I would also call the local police department and verify if a detective from that precinct is contacting you. Don't call any number he gave you. Call the actual police departments non emergency number. 

There are a lot of scammers, and bad people out there. Just be sure everything is on the up and up. 

Honored Contributor

Re: I'm Too Nice

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't call it being  too nice, like many older women you are a people pleaser.  You turn yourself into doormat because you need to be liked, appreciated and helpful.  Beginning with your neighbor why wou you even think about lugging her bulky packages into the building whether she was home or not?  That you did it knowing she was home is just very sad.  That's why she wasn't grateful or appreciative.  She might have considered it interfering.   She didn't ask you to do it and didn't know why you did it.The most I would have done is knock and tell the packages were there. And stop picking through her mail.  Take yours and leave hers alone.  

As for the fake police call, I get those frequently.  There are a couple of variations.  It was obvious to me from the first call that it was some type of prank or scam even though I couldn't figure out the intent.  I never and would never engage the fake cop in a conversation like you did.  You had to know it was not legit.  Why didn't you hang up?  The fake cop calls go to my landline which I never use or give out the number so the whole thing is a mystery but I have caller ID so I know when "Officer Such-and-such has left a message".   However your desire to please people isn't something you can change now, it's part of who you are.  But when it comes to your neighbor, to maintain good relations, just stay out of her business.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 

Sure wish I could read your post

hckynut 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Rockycoast this really was a detective, I didn't want to get on his bad side, he could make trouble for me. I told him I didn't have to call him back I was being nice and didn't want something bad to happen to the woman.

@Jordan2   I would block that number.  He has all the info he needs to find this woman if that is who he really says he is.

Honored Contributor
The neighbor mail is a non issue. How is she to know? I also would not sort through someone else’s mail. It can be interpreted as being nosy not being nice.

Don’t ever give that info on the phone with someone you have no clue who they really are. Aside from suspicious, he sounded obnoxious. It’s not even a matter of being nice. 🙂