Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3 

I live in a NOLA suburb, and our trash pick-up is twice a week, with recycling pick-up on the first of those two days.  Twice a week is standard around here. 

Folks within the city limits are unhappy because city govt. is talking about once a week pickup as a budget measure. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

I'm glad to learn about garbage pickup in different parts of the country. In the Philadelphia area, since Covid if we get once a week service we go into the street and do a happy dance.

Respected Contributor

Jordan2 have you ever heard the phrase "No good deed goes unpunished?" By taking her mail out of the box and placing it on a table could leave you open to being accused of taking some of her mail. Best to leave her mail alone. Just take what is addressed to you.

Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

Jordan2 have you ever heard the phrase "No good deed goes unpunished?" By taking her mail out of the box and placing it on a table could leave you open to being accused of taking some of her mail. Best to leave her mail alone. Just take what is addressed to you.

That's the problem with just one mailbox for multiple addresses.  

Even if you're only taking your own mail from the box, what's to prevent the other tenant from accusing you of taking theirs out of the box too?

If you happen to have great neighbors, there's no problem.  If you don't, your life can get complicated real fast.

Esteemed Contributor

Trash service is paid for by the homeowner in Lincoln, NE.  If the homeowner desires twice weekly, they pay for it; it they only need one pick-up per week, that's all they pay for. It works very well for everyone's needs and is changeable throughout the year. For instance, I change from once a week to twice weekly pick-up during the spring and fall when I know there will be a lot of pruning or cleaning out flower beds or leaves the lawn service missed. 

I do take my recycleables to the Recycling Center rather than pay for them to be picked up. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@geezerette    Having a neighbor accuse @Jordan2 of mail theft might actually be a good thing. USPS would have to investigate and they would find an illegal mailbox situation and go after the landlord. The building would get new mailboxes without @Jordan2 having to complain.

Of course there are other forms of retaliation.....

Only I and a few others have discussed the legal situation here. I think if you don't work in real estate, or have never been involved yourself with an illegal  apartment, you just don't know what it can do to your life.  

Respected Contributor

ly withRe: I'm Too Nice

[ Edited ]

Deal only with your own mail and let other people deal with their mail, same for pakages. When it comes to your health, safety and well being to hell with being kind...too many scammers out there.  When someone rings your phone, you are being disturbed in the privacy of your home and under no obligation to provide any information, let alone talk to a caller you do not know.  Your call could have been a ghosted call, scammer using a recognizable number.  If you have caller ID, no not pickup any line you do not recognize, police or not--it could be phony.  If it is legitimate police, they will continue to attempt contact or come directly to you home if there is an issue involving you!  Would not talk to any "detective" until he showed his ID.

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Trash service is paid for by the homeowner in Lincoln, NE.  If the homeowner desires twice weekly, they pay for it; it they only need one pick-up per week, that's all they pay for. It works very well for everyone's needs and is changeable throughout the year. For instance, I change from once a week to twice weekly pick-up during the spring and fall when I know there will be a lot of pruning or cleaning out flower beds or leaves the lawn service missed. 

I do take my recycleables to the Recycling Center rather than pay for them to be picked up. 

@BirkiLady I never knew this existed paying for garbage pickup. In NYC and Nassau County, NY we get garbage pickup as a service I imagine covered by paying taxes.