Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2 

Do you not want your own mailbox?  You don't mind that whoever gets to the pile of mail on the floor first sifts through your mail, too, to get to their own?  It could also get stepped on if it just lays on the floor for hours.  It could also get easily misplaced.  I know I wouldn't like that.  What an invasion of privacy, but that's just me.

Honored Contributor

I think I would have asked them to send an officer to your home.  If its a scam no one would show up.  Or you could go to the police station yourself.  I would want to get to the bottom of it.  I would also get my number changed.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

Even if the OP got a new phone number that number belonged to someone else. It could be very aggrevating to have people calling looking for the former owner of that number. It takes months and months for that to stop. The former owner should have notified the PD about the change. I still think she may have left the area and that's why she did not notify them.

If the OP had a landline phone before and changed the number when she moved, people would be calling that old number looking for her.

I would have googled the phone number that showed up to see if it really belongs to a Police Dept. Anyway the OP said she called and was told that it was legitimate. And no the person who first had that number never lived at that address so now it's up to them to try and track her down.

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

OP here, the woman didn't live in my apartment prior to me (the landlord actually did), she just had my phone number (I wonder how long a number lies dormant before it's given to someone else)? The house is a legal two family house I live upstairs second floor (I don't know if the basement apartment is legal but it's not my business).

@Jordan2 

Do you, on the second floor, and the apartment on the first floor have different addresses?  For example, you are 310 Elm St. and she is 312 Elm St.?  Or you are 310 Elm Apt.A and she is 310 Apt.B?

If you are both just 310 Elm St., then the house was probably not legally subdivided. The post office requires separate mail receptacles. 

I'm confused about the phone #.  When you moved seven weeks ago, your phone number changed? 

@shoesnbags We have the same address she's FL1, I'm FL2. I didn't have a landline previously when I had Verizon hook up my internet I had them install a landline phone and this is the number they gave me. 

Honored Contributor

OP here, I'm wondering if the woman changed her mind about the order of protection, maybe that's why she gave her old number so the police couldn't contact her? The detective has her address and said he was going to pay her a visit, not my business what happens I'm out.

Honored Contributor

I haven't bothered to read all the replies, but my question is this.  How does @Jordan2 KNOW he's a detective.  Because he said so?

Tell him you're reporting it to the POLICE and will give them his number, along with his name (if that's even real).  Then hang up and do just that.

I never give personal information to a random caller.  That's nothing to do with being " too nice".  It's just downright stupid in this day and age.  JMHO.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 - This "detective " may be the person she took out a protection order against and he's trying to find her.  Ever think of that?

Trusted Contributor

Re: I'm Too Nice

[ Edited ]

@Venezia wrote:

I haven't bothered to read all the replies, but my question is this.  How does @Jordan2 KNOW he's a detective.  Because he said so?

Tell him you're reporting it to the POLICE and will give them his number, along with his name (if that's even real).  Then hang up and do just that.

I never give personal information to a random caller.  That's nothing to do with being " too nice".  It's just downright stupid in this day and age.  JMHO.

She knows that he is a detective because she called the police department, and it was confirmed. Message #17

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Esteemed Contributor

Re: I'm Too Nice

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 wrote:

OP here, I'm wondering if the woman changed her mind about the order of protection, maybe that's why she gave her old number so the police couldn't contact her? The detective has her address and said he was going to pay her a visit, not my business what happens I'm out.

@Jordan2  many years ago the telephone companies kept the number for at least 90 days before they were transfered to another person. Now it's different. You got this number 7 weeks ago and she may have disconnected hers a week or two before.

Some how I believe she left the State so didn't need another landline and did not tell the detective. I'm sure if he went to her address he won't find her. If she is scared, she would leave. The number she gave them which is n ow your number is the correct number. Most people would change their number in cases like this.

I was wondering if the units were numbered and you answered that question. One other question, how many bells are there? If only one, if there is a delivery and the carrier rings the bell, how would you know who the ring was for?

I don't like the mail box deal. I want my own.

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2   You have said that your building is a legal two family dwelling. How do you know? Having a lease doesn't guarantee it's legal. Your landlord already is violating postal laws. If the building was not legally subdivided:

1. Your lease may be void, leaving you without contractual protections.

2.  Renters' insurance may be void.

3.  Your utility bill may not be accurate and shutting down utilities in  an emergency may be compromised.

4.  You risk USPS delivery problems.

5.  You risk confusion locating people if there is a fire or medical emergency.

6. You may not be eligible for possible tax discounts.

This is very much your business. If you are uncomfortable calling the appropriate office directly to find out the truth, call your lawyer or legal aid. If you find out it's illegal, you're going to need legal advice. Don't stick your head in the sand on this one.