Honored Contributor

If his calls come again, find out where he is at the police dept., and tell him to set up a meeting for you and your attorney.  ****** it in the bud, and protect yourself.

Trusted Contributor

Re: I'm Too Nice

[ Edited ]

My suggestion is to stop sorting other people's mail.

You fault this new neighbor for minding her own business!! She is not selfish, she's polite. If it doesn't have your name on it, leave it where it is. People know how to get their own mail without you taking a good look at their magazines, billing overdue notices, government return addresses. A quick glance for your name and take yours with you.

It actually isn't nice to sort other people's mail. You might look at it as nice. Your neighbor might think i's nosy. So,e others here are telling you the same thing! If you're being taken advantage of by being "too nice", get over it by leaving this niceness behind you. No one appreciates it, then no one will miss it not occurring. 

Neighbor owed you a thanks for lugging in the packages. That one time. Now stop being the mail and package agent. If it isn't yours, then it is not your concern. That's not being un-nice, it's politely not touching what isn't yours. 

I understand your motives and perspective of feeling you're being oh so helpful. But you have overstepped, IMO, and nice doesn't go with resentful. How nice is it to do something unbidden and perhaps unwelcome and then resent the lack of appreciation? 

Call the police station, ask to talk to the Captain or head of the Detective unit.  Tell him/her how you've been bothered and dragged into something you have no relation to and no responsibility for. You didn't assign or request your new phone number.  Now you want it stopped. Helps if you provide the detective's name and dates of these annoying calls. If it was legitimately the police trying to get information, it will stop. If it wasn't, use the occasion to report the incident as scamming or fraudulent representation of police business. 

Respected Contributor

Your landlord is required to give you and your neighbor separate mailboxes.

Respected Contributor

i get bogus calls all day long, i don't care whose name comes up on Caller ID.   i just don't pick up the phone.  And i use the generic robot voice greeting. 

this caller sounds hinky. you do not have to engage!

Block the number!  

Just take your own mail and packages.  

Honored Contributor

Never touch another person's mail.   Get yours, leave it there.

If I were you, if possible I would swing by the nearest police station, walk in and have a chat with someone.  Let them see you, talk to you, be nice, and they will look out for you maybe!  People always remember a personal encounter and it helps a lot!

It could pay off big down the road.  

Honored Contributor

I guess I have a different take on the mail/packages end of this.  I agree that I'd take my own mail and leave the neighbors.  I also don't see why you don't have separate mailboxes.  

But the packages left outside are a different story to me.  I would bring them in to whatever lobby you may have and leave whatever is not yours.  In my mind that's not "being too nice", it's protecting my own @zz.  With all the porch pirates around now, leaving packages visible to the street is just inviting them to be stolen.  And someday some of them may be yours.  Also, if someone sees that packages are left regularly, they may decide to take package theft a step further and break in thinking that the place is empty.

As for the phone calls/police thing, I don't understand exactly what you are saying so I won't comment on it.

Honored Contributor

So I called my local police department and spoke to a very nice police officer. There is a detective by the name I was given. He said giving your name and phone number isn't a big deal as someone can Goggle you and obtain it. He gave me the direct precinct number and told me to call if I have any problems, he set my mind at ease.

Respected Contributor

The OP says she lives in a 2-Family, sometimes there's one mail slot in the main door and mail drops into a shared foyer. 

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

The OP says she lives in a 2-Family, sometimes there's one mail slot in the main door and mail drops into a shared foyer. 

If that is the case, I'd pick up my mail and leave the rest in a pile by the door  if I wanted to start a t*t-for-tat relationship.  But I honestly don't see the harm in leaving the other tenent's mail on a table in the foyer after I got mine.  If the mail is all jumbled together in the foyer, each tenant will be sorting through all the mail to get their own no matter where they end up leaving what is not theirs.

Sometimes you're going to get neighbors that won't be friendly and reciprocal of your kind gestures.  You put up with that.  But I wouldn't want to jeopardize getting my mail or packages because I was being petty.

Honored Contributor

Re: I'm Too Nice

[ Edited ]

My policy in life is do what I need to do and leave other people alone to live as they like unless it infringes on my life or property. 

Let me add another thought.  Most delivery services take a photo of the package at delivery.  If you move it then doesn't that sort of make you responsible if something happens to it or it is damaged?