Respected Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

The OP says she lives in a 2-Family, sometimes there's one mail slot in the main door and mail drops into a shared foyer. 

If these are two separate LEGAL apartments with different addresses (Apt. A and Apt. B), the landlord must supply separate mailboxes. The mailboxes must be next to each other.

If these are not LEGALLY separate apartments, you may have some other issues to think about.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

My policy in life is do what I need to do and leave other people alone to live as they like unless it infringes on my life or property. 

Let me add another thought.  Most delivery services take a photo of the package at delivery.  If you move it then doesn't that sort of make you responsible if something happens to it or it is damage

Yeah...   especially if someone's Ring camera shows you taking the package.

Esteemed Contributor

The phone calls from the so called detective  could be a scam .

I would block those calls . I'd call the  Police Dept and ask if  such a detective works there and if this is standard procedure with phone calls .

Honored Contributor

I honestly wouldn't consider either of these circumstances as *too nice* imho.

I don't understand the mail situation or what you mean by 'she doesn't just take hers'.  I'd feel like I was breaking the law if I was sorting thru someone elses mail.  I guess you need separate mailboxes, the landlord needs to make that legit for you both.

If you 'struggled to bring' her packages in, then maybe you'd better not.  She may get more heavier deliveries and you shouldn't feel obligated to drag them in---forever.  She had no way of knowing you brought the 3 in already---right?  So there's no waiting for a thank you.

As far as the police detective calling you, I would have hung up and either called the police station or gone in--in person and explained the misunderstanding, just to make sure that wasn't a scam.

The scenerio of a protective order gives me chills if it had been a scam.  The whole convo seemed weird, being called a 'liar' and repeat phone calls.  I would've given no info over the phone and expected a police officer to understand that.  And he had no business telling you that it concerned a protective order or whatever it was along with the victim's name!  That's private, I would think. 

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Rockycoast this really was a detective, I didn't want to get on his bad side, he could make trouble for me. I told him I didn't have to call him back I was being nice and didn't want something bad to happen to the woman.

I don't know why you would assume that he could make trouble for you.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2  I just want to say you are a very nice person. There is nothing wrong with being considerate. Just don't let anyone take advantage of you. 

Respected Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I have come to the decision I just might be too nice for my own good. Two reasons why

1. I moved into a new apartment on the second floor of a two family house a new tennant moved in about 3 weeks ago (I moved in 7 weeks ago). I take in the mail sort it and leave it on a table in kind of a little foyer (she doesn't just takes hers). Three packages were delivered one day to this new tennant and left on the porch (they were bulky). I struggled to bring them in and left them at her door (she was home), never got a thank you maybe she thought Amazon delivery brought them in.

2. I get a call on a landline phone comes up the police department, he starts to leave a message so I pick it up. He has the correct number but the woman he was looking for doesn't live here. He asks if this is the number he dialed I say I don't like to give out my number, he says it came up police department, I say how do I know it's not a scam. He is very persistent and I figure he'll keep calling me back so I say yes. He then says I don't believe you (that I don't know this woman) why would she give this number! I say maybe it was written incorrectly so I thought that was the end of it, it wasn't! I get a call today by the same detective leaving me a message about the order of protection I filed. I call back and told him I told you yesterday you had the wrong person, I also told him I didn't appreciate him calling me a liar. I said why isn't she calling YOU, he said good question. He gets my name (which I shouldn't have to give as I am not involved but he is insistent again). He asks how long I have this number, 7 weeks. He says he doesn't know why she would give an old number, he will have to go to her house to investigate, oh and he says I'll probably get more calls on this matter. 

My mother raised me to be kind, helpful, and polite I never thought those would be flaws in my character.

Ive read this twice, and it doesn't make a bit of sense. What in the he&& are you talking about. Picking up mail, leaving it, phone calls from detectives, wrong numbers, scams. People on here are answering you?????????????

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I have come to the decision I just might be too nice for my own good. Two reasons why

1. I moved into a new apartment on the second floor of a two family house a new tennant moved in about 3 weeks ago (I moved in 7 weeks ago). I take in the mail sort it and leave it on a table in kind of a little foyer (she doesn't just takes hers). Three packages were delivered one day to this new tennant and left on the porch (they were bulky). I struggled to bring them in and left them at her door (she was home), never got a thank you maybe she thought Amazon delivery brought them in.

2. I get a call on a landline phone comes up the police department, he starts to leave a message so I pick it up. He has the correct number but the woman he was looking for doesn't live here. He asks if this is the number he dialed I say I don't like to give out my number, he says it came up police department, I say how do I know it's not a scam. He is very persistent and I figure he'll keep calling me back so I say yes. He then says I don't believe you (that I don't know this woman) why would she give this number! I say maybe it was written incorrectly so I thought that was the end of it, it wasn't! I get a call today by the same detective leaving me a message about the order of protection I filed. I call back and told him I told you yesterday you had the wrong person, I also told him I didn't appreciate him calling me a liar. I said why isn't she calling YOU, he said good question. He gets my name (which I shouldn't have to give as I am not involved but he is insistent again). He asks how long I have this number, 7 weeks. He says he doesn't know why she would give an old number, he will have to go to her house to investigate, oh and he says I'll probably get more calls on this matter. 

My mother raised me to be kind, helpful, and polite I never thought those would be flaws in my character.

@Jordan2  I believe that the person moved away because of the problem, probably to another State and that's why the Police Department was not given her new number.

Concerning the mail, when we lived in NY we rented the first floor to a family. Each of us had our own mail box with just the last names on the boxes. We didn't have to go through the mail to get ours. I certainly wouldn't want any one knowing my business.

If it's a mail box at the front of the driveway, I wouldn't like that. But if it is, just take your mail and leave the rest. You can also sign up for Delivery Confirmation through the Post Office and that will give you an idea if you have mail. Most of the time it's correct.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 

That policeman or detective certainly did not learn to speak and behave as a proper law enforcement officer in the Academy or in Law School! He  was a complete Fraud and you failed to hang up immediately. That's not being helpful. It's being very foolish! Didn't you notice how streetwise his vocabulary was, rather than strictly official business? He didn't have a clue how an officer should have spoken or behaved in such a conversation. 

You fell for a phone scam. Shame of you once. But to call the number back and believe his scamming friends again is beyond my comprehension.You've been scammed over and over. Keep your mouth shut and mind you own business.

BTW: Leave other's mail alone! It's a Federal Offense to remove anyone's USPS property. Do not touch the other person's mail or packages. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

The OP says she lives in a 2-Family, sometimes there's one mail slot in the main door and mail drops into a shared foyer. 

In that case, she needs to pick up her own mail and leave the other tenant's mail where it drops.  I would not be happy if another tenant was handling my mail.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett