Occasional Contributor

Re: I know I need to check with my doctor, but in the meantime, just wondering...

So true! All pharmacists have the same credentials. There isn't an advanced pharmacist degree or certification that makes some more qualified than others. Of course, experience surely makes one better, but that is it. Additionally, the laws and requirements have changed. Pharmacists used to only need a bachelors degree in pharamacy, but now they must have doctorate degrees. You can tell who has what by what you see on their coats. R.Ph stands for Registered Pharmacist. If you see this alone, it usually means the person does not have the doctorate degree and they have been grandfathered in under the new law. This is the case with many older pharmacists. PharmD indicates a doctorate degree, where the requirements are much more than the bachelor's degree. You HAVE to get the doctorate degree these days.

My husband just graduated pharmacy school a few months ago and works at walgreens. He is no hack. I am constantly impressed by what he knows. Your pharmacist will not change your RX but he or she can tell you if half of the dose is even worth taking (it might not be effective at that low of a dose) at all, and could offer you alternatives with less severe side effects that you could discuss with the doctor. He or she also might have some tips about how to curb some of the side effects you are experiencing. 

Pharmacists really know quite a bit these days. They are the front line of medical care, as many people ask them instead of seeing a doctor, or at least BEFORE seeing a doctor because it's free.They know a lot about medical conditions, and certainly know the medications.

And back to the main point of all of this...no pharmacist is a hack. If they graduated with a doctorate from a pharmacy school they know what they are talking about. YOu don't have to own a pharmacy for that. In fact, owning a pharmacy often takes pharmacists away from the medicine, because they have to get involved in running the business (inventory, pay role, scheduling, rent, etc etc)

Lets give professionals their due respect.

Honored Contributor

Re: I know I need to check with my doctor, but in the meantime, just wondering...

@Melania wrote:

So have you heard back from the doctor's office yet?

I finally heard from them this evening. They've prescribed Cipro.  If it's likely to kill me, please don't let me know.. I'd rather be blissfully ignorant, lol.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@Melania wrote:

I finally heard from them this evening. They've prescribed Cipro.  If it's likely to kill me, please don't let me know.. I'd rather be blissfully ignorant, lol.

I hope it works for you.  Cipro is the only antibiotic that I can tolerate.  No side effects at all.  Good luck. 

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@Melania wrote:

Should have definitely less side effects. Maybe some diarrhea but that'd probably be it. Cipro is very common and widely prescribed. Hope you feel better soon, @house_cat!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@Melania wrote:

I'm so glad you heard back. Cipro should do the trick and you'll be on the mend soon.

I finally took it after 2 Z-Packs didn't knock out my infection. I did fine and you will too!! Take care!

Respected Contributor

OMG!!!!  If you haven't already done so, call the doctor NOW!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Cats3000 wrote:

OMG! Another example of someone who only reads the first post!  Read the entire thread NOW!!!!

And then come back and post "Oh."

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Cats3000 wrote:

OMG! Another example of someone who only reads the first post!  Read the entire thread NOW!!!!

I agree.  I wanted to say that but figured I'd get bashed.  Thanks for saying it for me.  I shook my head when I read her post. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BlingQueen022 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Cats3000 wrote:

I agree.  I wanted to say that but figured I'd get bashed.  Thanks for saying it for me.  I shook my head when I read her post. 

My general feeling is that when someone only responds to an Original Post without bothering to read any more, the ebb and flow of actual conversation doesn't need to bother with them.

Some people truly don't know anything about communicating on forums, and some aren't really interested in communicating.

But that sort of response is like a slap in the face not just to the OP but everyone who responded.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat

Please, call the Dr. immediately................................

Please let us know how you are after calling the Dr.