Honored Contributor

Re: I had dinner with a complete stranger🙂

@cherry

then maybe you should tell him (or manager) you prefer not to hear his situation or get someone else to seat you so you can enjoy your meal.  I clearly understand what you're saying TMI🙂 

wrote:

What a very lovely thing to do @homedecor1

We have a guy that just sets at our table ,when ever he sees us.  He really is a character ,and always manages to discuss some recent medical procedure he had, in vivid detail

He is a bit of a handful but , we know he is lonely, and we just listen and smile ,while my appetite takes a nose dive

Our life is very full, and I don't think his is, so we just count our blessings and carry on.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1,Some people just can not find joy,in helping others pay no attention to them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

wrote:

@homedecor1,Some people just can not find joy,in helping others pay no attention to them.

Yup 🙄🤔!!! 

Honored Contributor

My DH and I went to a very busy bar at a resort on our honeymoon.The server asked if we would mind another couple joining us.We got talking with the couple and mentioned we were on our honeymoon so the male bought us a drink to celebrate.As the conversation continued he presssed my DH about his career.When my DH told him RCMP the man became irate ...he said he was there celebrating his first day out of prison and never intended to buy a drink for a cop....that was awkward.

Honored Contributor

I got teary reading that.  Great story.

My Dad retired to Florida and their next door neighbors could have been my Dad's parent's twins.  We all had an immediate affection for them, because they reminded us so much of our grandparents.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

wrote:

Saturday's are my spouse turn to pick our dinner plans.  We were out most the day, had a late lunch & big dinner wasn't on my plans.

He said "let's just go to Wendy's for chili".  Sounded like a plan.  We are sitting there eating & a very elderly man came in. I'll describe him as at least 90+ on walker & honestly, at first glance I said "OMG doesn't that man look like your dad!"  My spouse said "yes it does."  I mean same mannerisms, walk,etc.  

The man ordered and then I said "yup,just like Pop ...a sr coffee, hamburger & sr frosty". We got a chuckle because that was my FIL  order & he loved Wendy's!  He passed at 103 and I have the warmest memories of him.

We were sitting facing the pick up area  - I saw the man look perplexed how he was going to carry the tray.   I got up & went over got the tray & walked him to a table.  Of course, I went over to the condiment bar got him napkins, etc. & then struck up a conversation telling him "you so reminded me of my FIL I see you were a Navy man, my FIL too."  He continued to tell me he was 96 and one of the oldest WW II survivors.  We continued to chat - I looked over & next thing I know my spouse is bringing my dinner over to the table!  

We stayed & ate with him.  He told us all about his war days, how he is widowed & still lives alone.  His family is scattered throughout the country has not seen them in over 20 years☹️.  I was shocked he was still driving😮(Then again its FL & honestly, I wonder if he had valid license).  He told us Wendy's is his favorite place.  

So, we were done told him to have a nice night & we enjoyed chatting with him.  He reached his hand out and shook our hand -- with that he thanked us for being kind and taking the time to chat it made his day!  Little did he know he made mine too!!!

we got in the car & I looked at my husband. I said you OK he said I can't believe you do that (talk to strangers) but I'm glad you do because he reminded me of my dad & you made his day I'm sure.

I'm still thinking about him...and I never asked his name BUT I hope he enjoyed it as much as we did!

its those little acts of kindness we do that brings me the most joy! Now if only we could spread it around what a better place this world would be!!

Thanks for showing kindness to my dad as well-virtually.    He would have been 90, a veteran of the Pacific theater during WW2

Super Contributor

wrote:

@makena

guess at that time we we're just chatting & didn't seem all that important! Wasn't making a friend I guess just being helpful & it led to conversation.  I'm sure we will never see this man again!

Maybe you will!! I believe that we will all meet again, someday, in Heaven.....wouldn't it be nice if he came running over to you, in his prime, and told you how glad he was to see you again! My feelings, anyway...

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

You might see him again if you go to Wendy's at the same time on the same day. He might have set days and times when he eats there.

Super Contributor

Crying with coffee !!!!  Lol.... thank you for sharing this and extending yourself to this gentleman.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for sharing such an uplifting story.