Esteemed Contributor

Re: I had dinner with a complete stranger🙂

homedecor1, you have no idea how you warmed my heart with the beautiful story about the stranger you had dinner with.  You and your husband made an old man's life so much better by what you did.  God Bless that WW ll Veteran.  Did you ever stop to think it was God's plan to put him in your lives?  He reminded you and your husband so much of your father-in-law, was it just a coincidence?  I wonder.  Thank you for sharing this and God Bless you and your husband too.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

wrote:

homedecor1, you have no idea how you warmed my heart with the beautiful story about the stranger you had dinner with.  You and your husband made an old man's life so much better by what you did.  God Bless that WW ll Veteran.  Did you ever stop to think it was God's plan to put him in your lives?  He reminded you and your husband so much of your father-in-law, was it just a coincidence?  I wonder.  Thank you for sharing this and God Bless you and your husband too.

@Lindsays Grandma;  I was thinking the same thing "entertaining angels unaware".

@homedecor1:  Blessings to you for the kindness you showed this gentleman.

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1   Wouldn't it be wonderful if you could "adopt" him as your grandfather?

Super Contributor

Very touching.....this story made me cry. My Dad was a WWll vet fighting on the front lines in Europe; lost him in 2012 and miss him still. 

I watched an Amazon Prime documentary about a week ago called 

"The Real Inglorious B@stards". I cried for a couple days, because Dad could quite possibly have been right there. I have so many questions now, but it's too late.

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Honored Contributor

Even if he was alone or when he was alone for his next meal he did not feel that way due to the smile I would imagine was still on his face from his time with you @homedecor1.  What a lovely story. thank you.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@Big Sister

I would!  I'm a softy when it comes to seeing the "elderly" who need assistance and people just "look"...grinds my nerves as my dad would say!

I gave up giving to children and other charities once I saw there is a huge contingent of older people in this community (not where I live but surrounding area) who are in need.  So, every few months they have a "giving tree for Seniors" and I always take 3-6 names -- when I read those lists it literally breaks my heart!  The simpliest things they need: soap, lotion, tissues, powder, etc.

That generation can teach us alot - i enjoy hearing about their life experiences since I will never reach 90+ I'm sure!

Respected Contributor

@De AnnaI have been tempted too , but I always ask if they can use some help. Even in the grocery store.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

wrote:

@Big Sister

I would!  I'm a softy when it comes to seeing the "elderly" who need assistance and people just "look"...grinds my nerves as my dad would say!

I gave up giving to children and other charities once I saw there is a huge contingent of older people in this community (not where I live but surrounding area) who are in need.  So, every few months they have a "giving tree for Seniors" and I always take 3-6 names -- when I read those lists it literally breaks my heart!  The simpliest things they need: soap, lotion, tissues, powder, etc.

That generation can teach us alot - i enjoy hearing about their life experiences since I will never reach 90+ I'm sure!

@homedecor1  How right you are.  I want to tell you a little story.  I shop in a particular grocery store about every 2-4 weeks.  There is an elderly man who works there pushing a very wide broom/dry mop down all the aisles.  I always look for him and when we pass I look at him and say hello with a smile. He looks up and his face lights up when he sees me now, but he doesn't look up any other times.  I really believe I may be the only person who "SEES" him and talks to him.  Makes me feel good and I leave with a smile on my face.

I do feel for the elderly like you do, and a smile goes a very long way, and it is so easy to give away.

Contributor

Thank you for sharing this story @homedecor1. You made a difference in a strangers life. Wonderful! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

You did a wonderful thing to help this gentleman and have lunch with him. You gave him  companionship and I bet he enjoyed it as much as you as your husband did. It doesn't matter that you didn't exchange names - that wasn't the point of your being very kind to this man. It was just a nice unplanned sharing of lunch.