Esteemed Contributor

Re: I can’t believe it but I bought a stun gun.

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Nancy Drew 1   I am sorry to read your story today, It brought back instant memories of the day my dog was attacked by a pit bull on a walk alone on a country road.  It is a very helpless feeling when you know either you or your dog is going to die by the carelessness of another owner or a out of control pit bull.   I am curious of what exactly the man did to the dog to make it unlock it's jaws.    I still have what I consider PTSD associated with this attack and have NO use for this breed.

As for those who think a stun gun, taser or pepper spray will stop a pit bull who is going after you or your dog, you may want to look into this much further before relying on it for your safety. 

No dog has the capability of locking its jaws.

Actually they do.  I have seen it for myself as a victim.

Sorry, you are wrong, you can look it up.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Nancy Drew 1   I am sorry to read your story today, It brought back instant memories of the day my dog was attacked by a pit bull on a walk alone on a country road.  It is a very helpless feeling when you know either you or your dog is going to die by the carelessness of another owner or a out of control pit bull.   I am curious of what exactly the man did to the dog to make it unlock it's jaws.    I still have what I consider PTSD associated with this attack and have NO use for this breed.

As for those who think a stun gun, taser or pepper spray will stop a pit bull who is going after you or your dog, you may want to look into this much further before relying on it for your safety. 

i believe this is correct @CrazyDaisy

a dog has the ability grab and hold, but not "lock."

The infamous “locking jaw” myth has been assigned to a variety of dog breeds, including the American Staffordshire Terrier, Bulldog and Boxer, but it's exactly that — a myth. No type of dog has been found to have a mechanism that enables them to “locktheir top and bottom jaws together.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Valued Contributor

Pit bull attacks are  sensitive subjects to owners who love their pit bulls.  I have seen numerous reports of family pit bulls attacking for no apparent reason. Unfortunately, I will always remember meeting a 5 year old girl who was scalped by a neighbor's  pit bull that got out of it's yard.  This dog was a family pet!

Sensitive pit bull owners ... yes, my daughter was one.  It was her favorite dog.  When my DGD was a toddler, this dog would sometimes snarl, growl, and lurch forward at her.  We were all afraid DGD might get hurt.  Mom once separated them with a broom.  

Several close calls happened when I babysat my DGD.  

I have never understood love so great for an animal that one would put their children and family in dangers way.  These dogs can be so sweet but, can turn on a dime and temporarily "lose their minds."   Their strength can be overpowering.  I'm still haunted by my experience with my DGD.  Whew ... some bad memories.

Esteemed Contributor

@shy bobcat wrote:

Pit bull attacks are  sensitive subjects to owners who love their pit bulls.  I have seen numerous reports of family pit bulls attacking for no apparent reason. Unfortunately, I will always remember meeting a 5 year old girl who was scalped by a neighbor's  pit bull that got out of it's yard.  This dog was a family pet!

Sensitive pit bull owners ... yes, my daughter was one.  It was her favorite dog.  When my DGD was a toddler, this dog would sometimes snarl, growl, and lurch forward at her.  We were all afraid DGD might get hurt.  Mom once separated them with a broom.  

Several close calls happened when I babysat my DGD.  

I have never understood love so great for an animal that one would put their children and family in dangers way.  These dogs can be so sweet but, can turn on a dime and temporarily "lose their minds."   Their strength can be overpowering.  I'm still haunted by my experience with my DGD.  Whew ... some bad memories.

That is an untrue generalization, All animals (including humans) have thresholds.  Pushing any animal past that point will typically get a unpleasant reaction. Growling is a perfecty normal reaction for a dog that is getting close to that threshold, they are telling you to stop and back off.   Children especially are not taught how to properly behave around pets in general.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I am considering getting something like this too. It might be useful for dogs ,or  potential intruders too

I am glad you are OK and I hope the owner is more responsible , in the future

We had a German Shepherd run into our yard, to get away from fire crackers, The owners stupidly tied the poor animal in the backyard, and it chewed it's collar off and ran away

Mr Cherry contacted a new neighbor, and they came and got the dog. I think it was a nice dog, but, I am glad he didn't try to pet it. You just don't know what a frightened animal might do

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

The infamous “locking jaw” myth has been assigned to a variety of dog breeds, including the American Staffordshire Terrier, Bulldog and Boxer, but it's exactly that — a myth. No type of dog has been found to have a mechanism that enables them to “locktheir top and bottom jaws together.

The owner couldn't get his dog to unlock his grip on the gut of my boxer and screamed at me to run to his house and get the coke on top of the refigerator.

I in shock asked what?  He said you have to cut the blood taste to get the dog to unlock his jaw.   I ran to his house and his wife handed me a can of coke.   I handed it to the man and he quicky shook it up and opended the dogs lips and sprayed the shook coke into to dogs mouth.    It didn';t work, so I had to get another can from the wife.  The second shook can sprayed cut to blood taste and the dog UNLOCKED his jaw and then we could seperate them.   If you don't call it unlocked this is your choice, the man and I saw it occur.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It is really hard not to feel things about any breed after having our own experiences and I understand that, and how emotional these threads can get.

When my son got his first pitbull, we were horrified. Then when he got the 2nd and then the third, well that was a little much.

Everyone said, esp. our first one, was the sweetest dog they had every met.I think he felt his mission was to love and lick everyone he metSmiley HappyHeart

Once a neighbor's smaller dog got him by the throat. He did nothing to fight back. I had to get a broom to get the other dog off him.

He always adjusted his play according to the person or animal. Our cat he just stayed in place and bowed down waiting for her to like himSmiley Happy

I was attacked by a neighboring German Shepherd and then the neighbor's pitbull followed his lead (I was told by a neighbor, I guess I was unconscious so didn't know it was both). They were owned by a renter.

My pitbull granddog would run with me as fast as we could go when I saw a German shepherd for years after that (and German shepherds used to be my favorite dogs).

Our girl pit would come to stand by me whenever I was afraid of anything and gently lick me. She was uncannily aware.

Our biggest was the most gentle goofball who loved you and loved cookies, well everything. His grandfather was a champion. 

Anyway, all my children and everyone who met them said they were the best dogs anyone could ever have.(Even people afraid of pitbulls).

I slept with all of them snoring away on my bed. 

I can't even describe what gentle funny sweet and sensitive dogs they were. I miss them always.

I think like @CrazyDaisy has so calmly expressed, every human and every dog breed has their own personality, and some are more prone to attack or other unwanted behaviors than others, every breed!

Cats too. I've known cats who are always "feral" and then the most cuddly sweet ones too.

All domestic pets do have some inbred characteristics. My son told me that pitbulls were bred to fight each other, (originally) not humans,  but German shepherds were bred to protect their owner.

And as we all know, there are genetic tendencies in humans and animals and also how they are raised in their environment.

I kiss my granddogs pouch with his "fur" in it every daySmiley HappyYou just had to have known our 3Smiley Happy You would have loved them too.

Now that I have young grandchildren, I definitely would not get a puppy in the house, and you have to have a lot of help to walk and take care of and have money for a dog or any animal and take care of children. I know a lot do it but its not for everyone.

I'm not sure of cats either (if you don't have them all already)! 

I don't know why some pets, labs, all breeds, may attack their owners or anyone else. It is bewildering, but again, this can happen with any breed and I think many pitbulls have been raised and abused by a lot of wrong people out there!!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch  I can well understand your fear. Having a close encounter myself, with a bad tempered pitbull, that was ultimately killed by his owner, when the dog  went after one of his kids, I don't want anywhere near them.

I know their owners love them ,and many seem to be wonderful animals. However, my next door neighbor, had a dog she bought assessed, because it kept biting her. She took it to  a place that cares for dogs, and it was evaluated, and they told her to put it down. She did it reluctantly. The dog was still young, and in a fenced yard, but she  didn't trust it

Esteemed Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

The owner couldn't get his dog to unlock his grip on the gut of my boxer and screamed at me to run to his house and get the coke on top of the refigerator.

I in shock asked what?  He said you have to cut the blood taste to get the dog to unlock his jaw.   I ran to his house and his wife handed me a can of coke.   I handed it to the man and he quicky shook it up and opended the dogs lips and sprayed the shook coke into to dogs mouth.    It didn';t work, so I had to get another can from the wife.  The second shook can sprayed cut to blood taste and the dog UNLOCKED his jaw and then we could seperate them.   If you don't call it unlocked this is your choice, the man and I saw it occur.

OMG...there is just so much wrong in this post that I have to just walk away shaking my head.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

OMG...there is just so much wrong in this post that I have to just walk away shaking my head.

I totally agree. People shouldn't have to be attacked walking down the street,   People who's dogs have attacked children and other dogs in the past, and have to keep Coke on top of their refrigerator to cut blood taste of their victims should be in jail.