Honored Contributor

Re: I can’t believe it but I bought a stun gun.

So relieved you are OK, @Nancy Drew.  What a hideous experience.  You are very brave and a good citizen.

Respected Contributor

This is awful!!! Glad everyone is going to be ok. I'm hoping you never have to use the stun gun!

Esteemed Contributor

Coyote and other animals are also something to consider.  I like to use mace or an other type of spray deterrent.  I can stop any altercations from a greater distance and before get out of control.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Separating dogs when one is being attacked by another can be very dangerous.  I experienced a situation like that many, many years ago when our family dog was attacked by a friend's dog.  I was attempting to separate them and fortunately received only scratches but sadly my dog's injuries required having to put him down.

As for the stun gun, that was a good idea, not only to ward off a dog attack but a human as well.  Because my former son-in-law became very belligerent when he drank I purchased pepper spray and I'm happy I never had to use it.  In today's world one has to be very careful and my motto is, better safe than sorry.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

A man was riding on public transit when his bit bull attacked a girls ankle/foot. She screamed a the man to call off his dog. For some reason he couldn't or wouldn't. Eventually the dog released his bite. A veterinarian said if a dog has his jaws locked on you or another animal, have someone lift their back legs off the ground, this will make the dog release their bite. This would be the point to control the animal via, pepper spray, dog spray, whatever you happen to have.

Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Esteemed Contributor

Glad you are ok - what a terrible experience. When I walk, I have a pepper spray wristlet I wear.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nancy Drew, good Lord what an awful experience.  I am a dog owner but there are still some dogs that scare me.  Thank heavens you are ok.  The poor dog that was attacked.  So sad.  LM

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nancy Drew 1   I am sorry to read your story today, It brought back instant memories of the day my dog was attacked by a pit bull on a walk alone on a country road.  It is a very helpless feeling when you know either you or your dog is going to die by the carelessness of another owner or a out of control pit bull.   I am curious of what exactly the man did to the dog to make it unlock it's jaws.    I still have what I consider PTSD associated with this attack and have NO use for this breed.

As for those who think a stun gun, taser or pepper spray will stop a pit bull who is going after you or your dog, you may want to look into this much further before relying on it for your safety. 

Esteemed Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Nancy Drew 1   I am sorry to read your story today, It brought back instant memories of the day my dog was attacked by a pit bull on a walk alone on a country road.  It is a very helpless feeling when you know either you or your dog is going to die by the carelessness of another owner or a out of control pit bull.   I am curious of what exactly the man did to the dog to make it unlock it's jaws.    I still have what I consider PTSD associated with this attack and have NO use for this breed.

As for those who think a stun gun, taser or pepper spray will stop a pit bull who is going after you or your dog, you may want to look into this much further before relying on it for your safety. 

No dog has the capability of locking its jaws.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

No dog has the capability of locking its jaws.

Actually they do.  I have seen it for myself as a victim.