Esteemed Contributor

I can’t believe it but I bought a stun gun.

[ Edited ]

An incident happened yesterday that made me buy one. I was washing dishes in my nightgown in the a.m. I heard blood curdling screaming and ran out front. My next door neighbor’s mom was on the ground wrestling with her older female golden retriever and a tall young boxer/pit bull mix who had his/her jaw clamped on her ear (the dog). The neighbor in her 30’s 9 mos pregnant hitting the aggressor dog  with a metal scooter over and over. It did nothing to deter this dog. I went to grab the collar. It had no collar. Even if it did now I have the dogs teeth by me. I was hitting the dog on the back, it did nothing of course. The 4 year old little girl is crying hysterical.We live on a busy street and a truck pulled up and 2 guys got out with sticks. I knew this wasn’t enough. I ran back into call emergency number. When I came out it was all over. A Spectrum cable guy in some one’s back yard injured the dog enough to subdue it. The dog was only injured at this time. Police and animal control were called out. The Grandmother went to emergency room. The older dog had surgery at the vet. Everyone will heal. This was a horrible event. I have not the strength nor the fortitude to injure a dog even tho it was going to do grave harm to the other animal or humans. So how to protect myself or my dogs on a walk? I know this rare. Thank goodness but I needed something humain and also effective to deal with this situation. The Spectrum guy was shaky afterwards. He didn’t want to do this. Turned out the aggressor dog was a neighbor’s who didn’t know the dog was out. If this is against QVC standards and removed I understand. I tried to be tactful in telling the story as it was horrific.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

Re: I can’t believe it but I bought a stun gun.

@Nancy Drew.  What a horrible, traumatic experience this must have been for everyone involved.  I hope the owner of the aggressor has deep pockets as he should be responsible for all medical bills, human and animal.  We're you bitten?  If so, you should have a tetanus shot.  Did the seller of the stun gun say it would be effective on a dog?  I hope you never have to use it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I have a flashlight that is capable of delivering electric shocks if needed, I used to carry it every when I walked my dogs.  Now I'm retired and walk during the day, I don't carry it, but if I were to start seeing an aggressive dog in our regular park, or if we moved into a town with more crime, I'd charge that puppy up again and carry it with me. 

I am sorry you had to witness such an horrific event, and I'm glad to hear the poor lady will recover, but I really hope that aggressive dog that was off it's own property is put down, there's just no second chance that's safe in such a circumstance!

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

This just happened to me and my dog Maggie. We walk all the time in my neighbor. A few days ago we went for a walk and less than 5 minutes in a pit bull came charging out at us on the sidewalk and attacked my dog (an English Pointer) two different times. I thank God that I was able to keep the pit bull from doing her terrible harm. I kept moving Maggie behind me and screaming my lungs out for anyone to hear. Again, I thank God, that a car came by at the best time possible and the man in the car was able to keep the bit pull occupied so that I could run to safety with Maggie. 

I believe this man was the dog's owner since he kept telling me the dog wasn't his dog but as soon as he opened his car door, the dog went up to him in a peaceful manner and tried to get into the car. The man got out of the car and was able to hold the dog by the collar (it was a shock collar of some sort). He must have told me 5 times the dog wasn't his. Another vehicle drove up by this man's car and the dog disappeared. I don't know if the other vehicle picked up the dog or the man holding the dog took the dog. It was a very scary situation. 

Since then I have purchased Mace and will always walk with Mace in my fanny pack. Hopefully, I will never need to use it.

The neighbor where we ran too called the police who said they would call animal control to pick up the dog. We do have a leash law. If animal control showed up, it was too late. The dog was gone and so were the people who witnessed the attack.

Forgot to mention, Mace is allowed in my state.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Nancy Drew.  What a horrible, traumatic experience this must have been for everyone involved.  I hope the owner of the aggressor has deep pockets as he should be responsible for all medical bills, human and animal.  We're you bitten?  If so, you should have a tetanus shot.  Did the seller of the stun gun say it would be effective on a dog?  I hope you never have to use it.

@Kachina624, thankfully it seems she wasn't. But anyone who does get bitten should get confirmation of rabies vaccine in writing.

@Nancy Drew, I am so sorry that you had to through this horrible scene. I'm glad you and everyone else are okay.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Nancy Drew, how frightening for you but so glad that you are ok.  Be careful with that stun gun and don't use it on  yourself.  Keep a watch out for that dog and hope that the owners get the dog some training and a good lock on their doors.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

I carry a can of dog deterrent spray, it's a small can developed just for animals that may attack us (my dog and I) while walking.

I wouldn't want to walk around carrying a stun gun, my can of spray is all I need.

Seriously, there are a lot of irresponsible dog owners out there, people to let their dogs freely run around.  I believe all dogs must be on a tie out, leash or enclosed in an area.

Honored Contributor

Dogs seem to sense when a human is afraid of them and when another dog is submissive. I had my female beagle out during hunting season one year and there were hunter's in the field off the road.One of their bird dogs came running down the road after us and I just picked up my beagle and continued to walk on. The dog kept barking and jumping up on me, but I kept on walking and didn't say a word. The owner of the dog caught up with us, apologized  and took his dog with him.

Trusted Contributor

Last week I purchased a stun gun. We will be traveling. It fits in my purse and will protect me and my yorkie if needed.   It emits a loud sound that will scare dogs or humans.  Hopefully I will never have to use it on someone.  

I feel safer with it.  Not all states allow.   

Respected Contributor

So sorry for your ordeal. Thank goodness all are ok.

Stun guns not legal in NY.