Honored Contributor

Re: I can’t believe it but I bought a stun gun.

TWO women in Oklahoma have been attacked and KILLED by dogs in the last year.  One by pit bulls, one by a pack of smaller dogs.  You can google and read about them for yourself.  The details are shocking.

I would not hesitate to do whatever it took to stop a dog from attacking a person.  Dogs who do attack people should be put down.  I'm not talking about a bite, I am talking about a dog who attacks. 

The pack of dogs was small dogs, so don't think just large dogs are a problem.  Nobody should be outside without a security device of some sort if dogs run loose in your area.  It simply isn't safe. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I had a weapon handy and a dog was attacking a human or another dog I would kill the aggressor if I could.  Knife, gun, whatever... dogs like this are a menace to society and should be put down.      

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

TWO women in Oklahoma have been attacked and KILLED by dogs in the last year.  One by pit bulls, one by a pack of smaller dogs.  You can google and read about them for yourself.  The details are shocking.

I would not hesitate to do whatever it took to stop a dog from attacking a person.  Dogs who do attack people should be put down.  I'm not talking about a bite, I am talking about a dog who attacks. 

The pack of dogs was small dogs, so don't think just large dogs are a problem.  Nobody should be outside without a security device of some sort if dogs run loose in your area.  It simply isn't safe. 

first heard this on these boards, but have now seen it on quite a few websites.

actually, the dogs that bite the most are chihuahuas, although they dont have the strongest bite.

• Dog bites sustained by children have been decreasing in the past decade
  • 30+ breeds of dogs and mixes are incorrectly identified as “pit bulls”* in dog bite incidents, attributing the pit bull with an unfair and overstated number of incidents (*pit bull is not technically a dog breed; breeds that are commonly referred to as pit bulls in the U.S. are American Staffordshire Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and American Bully)

more interesting statistics can be found here:

https://www.caninejournal.com/dog-bite-statistics/

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

An incident happened yesterday that made me buy one. I was washing dishes in my nightgown in the a.m. I heard blood curdling screaming and ran out front. My next door neighbor’s mom was on the ground wrestling with her older female golden retriever and a tall young boxer/pit bull mix who had his/her jaw clamped on her ear (the dog). The neighbor in her 30’s 9 mos pregnant hitting the aggressor dog  with a metal scooter over and over. It did nothing to deter this dog. I went to grab the collar. It had no collar. Even if it did now I have the dogs teeth by me. I was hitting the dog on the back, it did nothing of course. The 4 year old little girl is crying hysterical.We live on a busy street and a truck pulled up and 2 guys got out with sticks. I knew this wasn’t enough. I ran back into call emergency number. When I came out it was all over. A Spectrum cable guy in some one’s back yard injured the dog enough to subdue it. The dog was only injured at this time. Police and animal control were called out. The Grandmother went to emergency room. The older dog had surgery at the vet. Everyone will heal. This was a horrible event. I have not the strength nor the fortitude to injure a dog even tho it was going to do grave harm to the other animal or humans. So how to protect myself or my dogs on a walk? I know this rare. Thank goodness but I needed something humain and also effective to deal with this situation. The Spectrum guy was shaky afterwards. He didn’t want to do this. Turned out the aggressor dog was a neighbor’s who didn’t know the dog was out. If this is against QVC standards and removed I understand. I tried to be tactful in telling the story as it was horrific.

@Nancy Drew  I have often thought of getting something like this as there are coyotes roaming, I hear many at night, and one chased my neighbor's little dog to the point that by the time it ran up the driveway, owner in hot pursuit, the dog's feet were bloodied, the coyote ran off.  She let her dog off the leash right by a creek on the road, which is where the coyotes and other wild animals are, but she learned her lesson.

I was walking a dog once, and a large black lab ran across the street and bit the dog I was walking for a friend.  I told it to go home, and it did, but I thought what if it had attacked me or was really going after the dog I was walking.  I don't walk in this area, steep winding road, I get enough exercise on my property.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Part 2. So the owner of the agressor dog, which I was correct was Boxer-Pitbull mix male 6 years old, came over. I don’t know about breeds  or lock jaw issues. I do know what I saw. She wants video from our camera. It is probably out of range but she can have it. She was upset with the Spectrum guy who she said went too far. But I found out the dog ran back into the house, he walked into the car and the vet. He had injuries, not life threatening. So in my opinion he was able to get the the dog off the other women and her dog but not do anymore damage. I don’t agree with her. Animal control said the dog does not have to be put down unless the opposing party goes to court. She wants to pay for medical injuries. I suspect the opposing party may want more than that as the husband is no wall flower. Now I am nervous knowing the dog is still 2 houses away. She also told me I should of pulled his hind legs out to stop him. Maybe on a small fluff dog. On a 150 pound dog I don’t know if I could do it or would it work. What a mess.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

I posted this before.  When I was 11 I was attacked by a pit bull (I found out later on what kind of dog it was) It looked like the dog in the Little Rascals film series.  Even with the circle around it's eye.  Long story but my best friend, myself, and a passing policeman all went to the hospital and the dog was shot dead.

Esteemed Contributor

Chloe was attacked by our neighbors pitbull at our old house. That was the last time my mom would walk her in the addition. He had no collar and got out of the door and she couldn’t get him off. The guy across the street came over and kicked him. Luckily there was no blood and no injuries. Our direct neighbor had a pitbull also. He was in a house with 4 young kids. He was pretty seeet but everytime Chloe went out he charged the fence. One night he got under it. Luckily he didnt really care Chloe was out there. M

Our neighbor at the apartment had a staffy. That thing was so darn sweet and loved people. It was funny because he also had a yorkie. We would laugh because you talk about two dogs on the opposite spectrum.

Valued Contributor

I carry a 38. Not really for dogs but for anyone who tries to attack me. My state allows it. I had to train to use it.
Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew

Any dog leash laws?

hn

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

after reading about who’s carrying stun guns and guns, you’re more scary  than any dog on the streets.  Very disturbing thread.