Respected Contributor

Re: How to Save $ in Retirement?

@missy1 wrote:

Get an Amazon prime membership.

@missy1...LOL. Just remember, they don't offer senior discount. 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Esteemed Contributor

Have you figured your monthly expenses and will your retirement income be enough to cover it?

Don't forget to call your auto insurer and tell them to switch your ins to "pleasure use". If you're currently commuting, this should cut your premiums. Shop for home & auto rates at least every year or two. I was stunned at the savings when I did.

Honored Contributor

Every business & eateries you walk into the first thing out your mouth should be "Do have AARP, AAA and/or Senior Discounts?"

"Utilities" - get on a equal payment plan.

Call your local Municiple Office or City Hall-ask for all 50+ "resident" discount your town my have.  You can also check by visiting your towns website under "Senior Services."

Start collecting grocery & non grocery coupons.

Shop at farmers markets

Shop at clothing retail discount outlets.  Most are now available online if you "online" shop.

Regarding "online" shopping - only do so if the site has toll free ordering number, accepts checks and/or money orders to avoid using a cc card.

If you do not "online" shop, only use your cc for emergencies & purchases over 1K.

Set up 2 banking accounts.

1 to pay bills

2 for "entertainment" = fun $$$$.  This account can also double as an emergency acct.

Retired at age 50 & never looked back except to kiss.gif as I walked out the office & building.

Enjoy your retirement!!!!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Congratulations on your new life, @buyornot!

Super Contributor

Try to eat the food you have until it's gone. You can save a lot of money by not wasting food.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I found that once retired I was automatically saving money because I didn't have the expenses that came with going to work.  Often tired after working we would get takeout or stop somewhere to eat.  Savings on gas, saving on car insurance, savings on clothing (shoes especially don't wear out now) and food since we often ordered in many days, snacks that I kept in my desk or out for coworkers to enjoy and just purchases I made try to compensate for the stress I was constantly under.  Also since I was out and about daily saved money on stops to the grocery store to pick up a few items always resulted in buying way more than I do now.   Then there were the numerous pass around collections and all the selling for fund raisers.  I now find I actually am saving so much without cutting back 

Honored Contributor

We've been retired for 2 years now. We entered retirement without any debt. We downsized by selling our primary residence, moved into our cottage, paid off all of our debts from the sale of our house. We are living very comfortably now.  I highly recommend paying off all you debts for a fresh start.

"Pure Michigan"
Trusted Contributor

We also have retired. Since we do not have any deby. CC etc. I really think before buying anything. Usually shop for groceries on "senior day at our local grocery" Don't purchase as much. Find we don't eat as much as when we were working. We are homebodies. Daughter lives in different state. She wants us to live closer to her. Will probably sell our fully paid home and move. We no longer need 4 beds etc. Three beds have turned into clothes cupboards and other STUFF!!! LOL Find our major expense is health ins. supplement  (we also have medicare) and car insurance. Be happy and thankful you have each other.  GOD BLESS YOU BOTH>. Here's to a long and happy retirement. HIP, HIP HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Frequent Contributor

I retired in January and my husband will be retiring June 2018.  I have found as others have said that I save money by not driving to work daily.  I'm saving 100 miles a week just on wear and tear on my car plus I only gas up every 3 to 4 weeks depending if we drive over to see our grandchildren.   Also if we do eat out it's usually on Saturday and I try to use a coupon or go a little earlier if there is a price increase after a certain time. 

It also helps that I enjoy being home.  I'm finding things that have needed to be done for years that I can now start on but at the same time take my time in doing so.  If my backs starts hurting I just stop and know that I can do it later or the next day. 

I worked at the same place for 37 years and I'm sooo glad I retired even if it means cutting some things back.  Well worth it.  Enjoy your retirement!  Smiley Wink

Spoiler

Honored Contributor

I retired 1 year ago today.  It was the best thing I've ever done.  I now work 20 hours a week in customer service at a grocery store.  A chunk of that money goes to savings. I  contribute the max to a 401k with this company.   I also help take care of my elderly parents and disabled sister.   Life is good with less.