Respected Contributor

Re: How to Save $ in Retirement?

@RedTop...thank you for sharing that story. So sad. Smiley Sad  It just goes to show that everyone's life is not just a big bowls of cherries.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@software wrote:

@buyornot wrote:

As someone with 6 days of work left, I'd LOVE to know any tips that people have found to save money in retirement time.  Taxes,utilities,food,anything that you've found useful?

I posted earlier today but I forgot the 1 big thing I wanted to mention.

In Alabama, when someone turns 65, they no longer have to pay property tax on their residence, it's call the Homestead Exemption.

See if that applies where you live.

I wish. We only get a senior citizen reduction. I am in NY. Just my SS checks for the year barely cover the school and property taxes for the year. It's terrible. 

@proudlyfromNJ, I always dislike it when incorrect info such as this is put out on threads. It misleads and sometimes upsets other posters. A homeowner in Alabama can apply for a state property tax exemption at age sixty-five. It is not necessarily granted. There are income and other eligibility requirements. Even then the exemption only applies to the state property tax portion. County and municiple taxes are still due. The only homeowners who can be totally exempt from all property taxes are those who have met the verified requirement of being permanently and totally disabled, and who resubmit the required document to the revenue department by a certain date each year.

@Silver Lining:  I believe you have to make less than $12,000 a year to qualify for the property tax exemption.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@buyornot

I really don't have any tips for you mainly because I didn't change my lifestyle when I retired!  I took a early retirement because spouse wanted to move 🙄

I'm sure you have already done all the necessary things i.e. financial planning before you made your decision.

Happy Retirement & enjoy sleeping in and having no time clocks!!!IMG_1948.JPG