Honored Contributor

Re: How many will be decorating grave this weekend?

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

While that may be true, what is also true, is that a lot of people have their ashes scattered.

So, therefore, there is no place to visit or "maintain".

ITA

I have no intention of having my ashes placed in a cemetary.

Since childhood, I've thought the whole idea of burying bodies was both barbaric and a waste of land.  Just an opinion I've had for most of my life. Anyone who knows me knows I refuse to have a religious funeral, a wake or a burial.

My parents are buried over 1,000 miles from where I live, so I don't visit their graves.

You are definitely entitled to your opinion, but labeling such a large number of people's custom to bury their deceased as "barbaric", is rather insensitive and rude.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@mstyrion 1 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

While that may be true, what is also true, is that a lot of people have their ashes scattered.

So, therefore, there is no place to visit or "maintain".

ITA

I have no intention of having my ashes placed in a cemetary.

Since childhood, I've thought the whole idea of burying bodies was both barbaric and a waste of land.  Just an opinion I've had for most of my life. Anyone who knows me knows I refuse to have a religious funeral, a wake or a burial.

My parents are buried over 1,000 miles from where I live, so I don't visit their graves.

You are definitely entitled to your opinion, but labeling such a large number of people's custom to bury their deceased as "barbaric", is rather insensitive and rude.

I'm not surprised you would criticize me. It's your way or the highway around here.

I stated it was my opinion and it is only that.  Other cultures have the same feeling as I do about the custom of burying the dead.  It's not insensitive and rude. It's just how I feel.  

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

I agree with @mstyrion 1

What we think about the subject is all personal opinion, maybe with some religious beliefs we were taught mixed in.

I prefer cremation, and if there has to be a casket, I want a pine box.  Not because of cost, either. No urn, either. Neat and clean, back to the elements without ornamentation. 

Honored Contributor

Noel7 wrote:

I agree with @mstyrion 1

What we think about the subject is all personal opinion, maybe with some religious beliefs we were taught mixed in.

I prefer cremation, and if there has to be a casket, I want a pine box.  Not because of cost, either. No urn, either. Neat and clean, back to the elements without ornamentation. 

@Noel7

i dont know how it works in every state, but in maryland the casket or "pine box" just isnt lowered into the ground, but it has to go into a cement/concrete/metal burial box that also has to be purchased. if you want "neat and clean" then cremation or donation are probably the best ways.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

since we are speaking of death.......

some of you may want to read the book THE AMERICAN WAY OF DEATH or THE AMERICAN WAY OF DEATH REVISITED.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I agree with @mstyrion 1

@Noel7

i dont know how it works in every state, but in maryland the casket or "pine box" just isnt lowered into the ground, but it has to go into a cement/concrete/metal burial box that also has to be purchased. if you want "neat and clean" then cremation or donation are probably the best ways.

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I agree with @mstyrion 1

@Noel7

Hi @sunshine45

I've been to a lot of funerals and have never seen a burial box.  I have been close enough to see at Jewish burials where each person throws in a shovel of dirt.

But I could have been wrong, so I just looked it up and found that California does not require a burial box.

Right, imo the way to go is cremation.

Regular Contributor

I have similar memories from my childhood.  Each year as Memorial Day neared,  my Mom, Grandmother, and Grandfather would visit several cemetaries and decorate the graves of family members who had passed.  My youngest sister and I always went with them for this yearly tradition.

For years my husband and I have driven to the cemetary and placed flowers at his parents graves and our grandparents graves.  Not just at Memorial Day, but when ever we make the drive to New York.  Yesterday, for the very first time, I decorated the grave for Memorial Day of my dear Mom who passed away last summer. I know she would be pleased that we have carried on with this tradition.

Respected Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I agree with @mstyrion 1

@Noel7

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

I agree with @mstyrion 1

@Noel7

Hi @sunshine45

I've been to a lot of funerals and have never seen a burial box.  I have been close enough to see at Jewish burials where each person throws in a shovel of dirt.

But I could have been wrong, so I just looked it up and found that California does not require a burial box.

Right, imo the way to go is cremation.

I think that concrete box that surrounds the casket is called a "vault".  

Maybe they are used in wetter areas or where freezing ground could cause the casket to break open?  I don't know for sure but I do know they were required in my midwestern home state.   

~Enough is enough~