Super Contributor

Re: How Much Time Could You Spend...........

Well during non covid times I can spend an hour or more shopping in stores for clothes and other stuff. I can browse for an hour or longer in a Hobby Lobby or Craft Mall. In grocery stores usually an hour or 45 minutes. During this time with the virus, I will get in and out as fast as possible. Usually within half hour or so.

Honored Contributor

@SunSprite  I had to look closely when I read your post because I saw the word "schlepping" and I thought your post was addressed to me.  I thought, "I've never used that word much these days and I would never consider that word when I answered the post.

Then I looked closer and it wasn't annabelle but one letter (the first) different.  I hope I don't go crazy with seeing the difference with this poster.  I don't remember ever seeing that name before.

I hope other's don't think that's me...it's so similar.

Anyway, I used to love spending the day just looking at 'stuff' and talking to strangers, etc.

But my back says, "Whoa! That's a no no for you now lady".  

Take care and have a good week ahead...be safe. ANNABELLEthecat (how I'm registered here).

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal  Well....let me see where do I start to answer your post.

OK, so by 2003 my back got so bad I had to go to an orthopedic surgeon.  It was at that time when I was told "there's no operation that can fix your problem".

I started typing this long post about my back...all of the problems going back to when I fractured 3 vertebras when I was 18 (car accident) one of many serious one's.

The short answer is everything shows up under MRI's and an operation of any kind will NOT fix the pain.  It's a matter of how much pain I can endure during the course of a day.  It's like that now.

Where I broke it is where the spine curves.  I didn't just break it, I shattered part of the vertebra....

This new problem isn't related to the already problems (which was very bad to start with).

This had nothing to do with my knees.  I fell backward into (literally INTO) my steps that goes from the foyer to the upper level (split foyer).

I thought the pain I lived with everyday was bad, but shattering the vertebra is a pain unlike what most people experience.

Hummm...not to brag (but I lived with this broken vertebra on my own for 2 weeks).  As I said it was the height of the virus...they were saying don't go into the emergency room unless is is life or death (something like that).

I kept telling my daughter in Denver not to come (I wasn't ready to give up my independence).  She got on the next flight out and was here for 1 month.  Then she flew back to bring her dog here.  She drove here with her dog and boyfriend 5 days later.  She stayed here until a few days ago.  The Drs are going to do the second series in the shots and then (once again because it's been done before) they will burn the nerves from my spine (simple way of saying it).

My daughter will fly back for that and stay at least a week or more.

My girls have totally reorganized my life and home. I wasn't happy at first but now I see how nice it is.

This fracture is at the L1, bruising the L2 and 3.  The Dr had to go into my back, break off what had started healing and break off enough that they could send in a piece to check for bone cancer and fill the bone with cement.  They used a large and small MALLOT and CHISEL.  Yep, as bad as it sounds.

The knees are great, no problem.  I'd advise anyone to get them both done at same time (like I did).  Compared to the pain I'd been enduring with my back it was like a paper cut (not much to it).

Trusted Contributor

This is a good thread.  Before the pandemic, I was a marathoner.  I loved taking my time in Bath and Body Works, the mall and the grocery store.   Now, I just go food shopping and try to get in and out as quickly as I can.   

Honored Contributor

In the past sometimes I would go shopping without knowing exactly what I was looking for. I'd have a category I was trying to shop for and I'd be looking for inspiration while I shopped. Gifts and decor were like that. I'd do my wandering around shopping thing at Ikea, Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, Big Lots, World Market, Lowes. Big places like that. I had to factor a lot of time for that kind of shopping. It was entertainment and I really enjoyed it.

Nowadays that isn't an activity I care to do at all. In And Out Fast for everything if I have to go in at all.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66   Well, you're a medical miracle in pain!!!  Good for you.  I remember the fall bckwards you had and all that.

I'm so glad you have daughters to help get you situated.  

I'll be hoping for a good outcome for you in days to come too.

Honored Contributor

I know I repeat stuff but I never remember people's names here so I don't know who saw my posts...

The Dr that did the pounding and cement specializes in that.  But she kept saying, "I can't understand how you broke it by falling on a step."

I'm like, "OK, well you see all this (waving my hands up and down my torso) "this went flying into the round part of the step.  I didn't 'fall against' I pushed myself up against it trying to get my feet and legs under me".  That's why she thought I might have bone cancer???  I'm like, I don't have any symptoms of bone cancer.  Good grief!

She said it's very hard to break a back bone (especially there).  Hummm?? I did fracture 3 on what they think was the handle that opens the car door or that winds down the window (it was 1965)...

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I know I repeat stuff but I never remember people's names here so I don't know who saw my posts...

The Dr that did the pounding and cement specializes in that.  But she kept saying, "I can't understand how you broke it by falling on a step."

I'm like, "OK, well you see all this (waving my hands up and down my torso) "this went flying into the round part of the step.  I didn't 'fall against' I pushed myself up against it trying to get my feet and legs under me".  That's why she thought I might have bone cancer???  I'm like, I don't have any symptoms of bone cancer.  Good grief!

She said it's very hard to break a back bone (especially there).  Hummm?? I did fracture 3 on what they think was the handle that opens the car door or that winds down the window (it was 1965)...

I have an elderly relative who broke her back just while vaccuming. The weirdest thing can cause it. Doctors need to listen more and stop dismissing what their patients tell them!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

Even in grocery stores, like Publix especially, I can go down every aisle looking for new and unique products. I could spend a couple hours in our Publix!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It depends totally on which store you are talking about. Grocery store? Hate it. Stick to my list and get out of there. HomeGoods? I love to look and browse so I can take a while but not for hours. Since I retired, I thought I would enjoy taking my time in stores but it’s not the luxury I thought it would be. We have so many malls that have closed...those were where I could spend a lot of time...,so many stores and restaurants...but with COVID Issues now, the stores that are still open are few and far between. Amazon makes it easier to browse now.