Valued Contributor

Re: How Honest Are You???

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@coffee drinker.  Do you really think our posters s are going to admit they'd resell the extras at a profit and make a bunch of money?

Lol!  @Kachina624!

But really I think most posters would report the mistake if only because it's such a BIG error.

I wonder tho if their answer would be different

if they received 2 diamond bracelets instead of the 48?

Valued Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I always tell a joke when someone asks me that question.

Here's what I say, "So when I die and am on the OUTSIDE of the Pearly Gates".  My late husband is standing on the INSIDE of the Pearly Gates.

A voice comes up and says to me, "Do you remember the time you (cheated, stole, etc) something?"

And my late husband on the INSIDE of the Pearly Gates says, "Nanny Nanny Boo Boo".  Ha!

I always do the right thing.  It would weigh on my mind and I don't need that stress this late in life.

@Annabellethecat66

I believe you would return these bracelets but there is no human being on earth who ALWAYS does the right thing.

No perfect people exist.

Honored Contributor

I would definitely do the same.

The store owners grateful thank you would be a thank you in itself and really nice he gave him the diamond earrings.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

The question really isn't "How Honest Are You?"  It's "Are You A Dirty Down-Low Thief?"

Honored Contributor

@spindlegirl wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@coffee drinker.  Do you really think our posters s are going to admit they'd resell the extras at a profit and make a bunch of money?

Lol!  @Kachina624!

But really I think most posters would report the mistake if only because it's such a BIG error.

I wonder tho if their answer would be different if they received 2 diamond bracelets instead of 1?

If the answer is different, it still means you are a thief.  

Respected Contributor

Karma, yes I do believe a person's actions is deciding their fate in the future.

Trusted Contributor

i would return them.  crime may pay in this life, but what about the next one.

Valued Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@spindlegirl wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Lol!  @Kachina624!

I wonder tho if their answer would be different if they received 2 diamond bracelets instead of the 48?

@Sooner

I agree with you ........

but I wondered if in general people would be more likely to report it if the error was a smaller one. Rhetorical of course.

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@spindlegirl wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Lol!  @Kachina624!

I wonder tho if their answer would be different if they received 2 diamond bracelets instead of 1?

Too true, @Sooner.. but one or two extras would be a truer test of one's personal honesty than 40-some, which is just crazy. More likely to be traced, once the “mistake” was noted. 

Some may be more tempted to keep an extra bracelet, if they felt they could get away with it, with no consequences, including just embarrassment.. which these days can go global by the media or internet reporting. 

Not to suggest the man in this story would have, or anyone here either- myself included. I couldn’t enjoy it, or give it to someone else in good conscience. 

Honored Contributor

@spindlegirl  Well, since you don't know me and I don't know you .....we will never know ..... will we?

That was an interesting comment you made....hummm???

I will admit there is sometimes conflict with me.  A for instance would be....  just the other day a good friend notified me he was in the hospital and asked me not to tell another of our friends.  I agreed even though I didn't know what difference it made.  He was very specific.

Then I had lunch with the friend (let's call her A).  She mentioned several times that she'd not heard from the hospital friend and had I).  I said, "Yes, I'd heard from him".  period.

Then later she said, "He must not be home".  I never said a word.  The tone she used made me realize she was asking a question....yet I didn't say anything.

So, now the conflict.  I gave my word not to say he was in the hospital.  He put me in a difficult position.  However, I totally believe one's word is important.  I was married to a man who's word was everything.

So, it's been on my mind for a few days now.  He's still in the hospital, getting out tomorrow.  I don't know why he didn't want her to know, none of my business.  I was honoring my word.

Yet I feel like I lied to her by not answering her question.  She will eventually find out; and for a few minutes she'll be angry with me; but she'll get over it.

When she asks why I didn't tell her I'll tell her he asked me not to tell anyone (which he did).  I will remind her that she's told me many things and asked me not to tell anyone (which I haven't).

While many people might get angry initially, they do learn that I am true to my word.  If they don't like it, they need not tell me their secrets.

That's just the way I am @spindlegirl.  Perhaps that's why I'm told things that otherwise people would never tell someone else.  They know if they ask me to keep quiet, it stays with me.

I have 3 teenage grandchildren.  We do things together a lot (especially the 2 girls).  The rule is you can tell or ask Grandma anything you want and I'll be totally honest with you.  That is unless it is something that I think might be dangerous for them now or in the future.

That's always been the rules.  THEY know grandma is honest and I think they respect that about me.  

So, there you have it.  I will state that I am an honest person who tries to do the right thing.  @spindlegirl.  I like to believe in the goodness of others.

I also think that most people (not true for a very few) even when they're doing the wrong thing, they realize they're doing the wrong thing and (for the most part) are in some kind of conflict about it.

One becomes a happier person if they can find forgiveness in their heart and not constantly judge people.  It's best to believe in the goodness of others.

I hope you believe in that statement rather than the glass is 1/2 empty.  

Phew!  Now my brain hurts and I'm going to turn on the boob tube.