Honored Contributor

Re: 🤷‍♀️No issue with it🤷‍♀️

@sidsmom wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@ShowMe wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

I really don’t have an issue with the tracking.

It’s the world we live in.

@sidsmom....and there isn't a darned thing we can do about it.  It will continue....and get worse with all the technology out there.

@ShowMe

Again, I don’t have an issue with it so I don’t know what ‘worse’ 

is referring to, so....

@sidsmom

So you dont mind the telemarketing and robo calls on your smart phone and all that junk mail from tracking your interests....

Then there's the opening that that fraudster can gather from browsing/shopping online info that can start the Identity theft process.......I saw an interesting news interview with a former fraudster how a tiny bit of info can be used to steal identities or open credit cards etc...just a name, just an address....crooks are clever......

@Spurt

Nefarious activity is one thing.

Living in the 21st Century is a totally different thing.

The original article mostly states the facts of living in this time.

There were several cautionary actions scattered in, but the majority

of the article is...just the way it is.

It’s like,

If someone leaves their car unlocked & someone steals it,

it doesn’t make owning a car evil.  I don’t have a problem 

‘owning a car’...but I’m smart enough to lock it. 

All the tracking is nothing new.

Taxes, Census...our ancestors were tracked just like we are today.

Just being on your computer...someone is tracking you.

You DO realize..just posting on this forum, someone is tracking you.

Is it for evil activity? No.  

People are confused, then add ignorance...that’s where fear sets in.

Surprised we still have to talk about this. 

@sidsmom

Oh yeah, I understand what your saying and realize about the tracking while posting here on this very Forum.  And yes we still need to talk about because there are threads from posters who are asking why they are seeing ads from other companies on QVC's Forum because they are aren't familiar with Ad Blockers on Security Software, Browsing Incognito, and Malware and Virus's too ...............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

i will say that with all of the things going on in my life and in the world around us,  these things listed and worrying about who is "seeing" information is way far down on my list of things to worry about daily.

i am sure some of you have had to fill out FAFSA forms or MEDICAL forms or LOAN APPLICATION FORMS. so much information on those things and once they leave my hands or once they are sent via my computer, they are out there for quite a few people to see!

right now, i take as many precautions that i can and try to be as vigilant as i can regarding information released, but i cannot and dont let it worry me.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Re: 😡 How Companies Are Tracking Your Data 😡

Sometimes the tracking is so obvious it’s funny. They’re not even subtle about tracking anymore. First of all, so many sites I visit have a pop up “We Use Cookies” warning now. I want to browse, so I click “OK.” This cookies pop ups thing has drastically increased just since Marc Zuckerberg testified before Congress about a month ago. A few days ago I was looking for down pillows and cruised the net to a few stores. Yesterday, I received an email to view a post on a friend’s Facebook page. I went to FB to see what she posted. As soon as I got to her page on FB, pop up ads for pillows started flashing in my face. Too funny. I rarely go to FB. All the places I shopped that used cookies sold or supplied my data to FB which sold my data to the companies advertising the pillows. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

shortbreadlover, they don’t need your name when you visit a website online. They can see your device’s IP address. 

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

Oh yeah, I understand what your saying and realize about the tracking while posting here on this very Forum.  And yes we still need to talk about because there are threads from posters who are asking why they are seeing ads from other companies on QVC's Forum because they are aren't familiar with Ad Blockers on Security Software, Browsing Incognito, and Malware and Virus's too ...............

That's a good point.  I see a lot of what appears to be the same lack of knowledge about keeping computers as safe as possible and it is concerning.  I've tried to help people understand this and it's like most don't want to listen.  It's just 'I just don't know enough...etc'.   WELL, LEARN!  Good grief.

I had to learn computer stuff on my own.   So I did.  It's that simple.

This board tends to attract a lot of folks who are new to the internet in general, so it's the same with trying to share basic internet etiquette type stuff.  They don't care and I guess they don't think that basic rules of common courtesy and manners apply to them.   

It can be frustrating so I just find myself saying less and less, especially when the same questions come up time after time after time when there are already a dozen threads asking the same question.  I like to help others, when I can, but had to learn that if people don't want that help I'm not going to try and force it on them and I get tired of myself, and others, having to say the same things over and over and over.

Esteemed Contributor

@shortbreadlover wrote:

this is why iuse a phoney name on stre cards that track the items that i buy.  i nver give out any info unless i really need to do so.

didyou know that the home you reside in  is listed as public info and anyonecan look up anything about your home?  from how much paid in taxes to the sq footage and such.  the counties sell this info to anyone who is willing to pay for it.

@shortbreadlover  All of your homes information is listed in public records in any County in the USA. Check with your County Assessor's office (on-line) and you'll have the info. on anyone.

What are you talking about "the counties sell this info"? That statement is completely false.  NOPE! Counties or States never sell personal information for financial gain. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Re: 🤷‍♀️I’m OK with it🤷‍♀️

Funny thing, other than the discount card at the store (Giant and Costco are the only ones I use), NONE of the other data/electronics are part of our lives. We use/do nothing that is voice activated, we don't use Amazon, our TV is used for gaming only, no smart anything, our phones are used for calls only (don't take them on walks)... I guess we're not doing too badly? 

Data gathering, along with AI, are two of THE fields of the future and both in a HUGE way.

Esteemed Contributor

They must cause I get so many catalogs and at least 2/3 I don't buy from.

Esteemed Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

They must cause I get so many catalogs and at least 2/3 I don't buy from.

@halfpint1  When you sign up with a company, ask that your name NOT be sold to other companies. You won't receive a lot of unwanted catalogs or emails or ads on your facebook page. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@shortbreadlover wrote:

this is why iuse a phoney name on stre cards that track the items that i buy.  i nver give out any info unless i really need to do so.

didyou know that the home you reside in  is listed as public info and anyonecan look up anything about your home?  from how much paid in taxes to the sq footage and such.  the counties sell this info to anyone who is willing to pay for it.

@shortbreadlover  All of your homes information is listed in public records in any County in the USA. Check with your County Assessor's office (on-line) and you'll have the info. on anyone.

What are you talking about "the counties sell this info"? That statement is completely false.  NOPE! Counties or States never sell personal information for financial gain. 

@@shortbread lover. BirkiLady is correct. All that info is free public info. I have checked out my neighborhood, plots, taxes etc. I have some woods behind me and I wanted to know who owns what and where. Counties do not sell this. It is free to anyone and everyone.