Honored Contributor

Do you pay for your gas at the pump with a debit card?

[ Edited ]

This morning hubby found two unauthorized transactions at 383.00 each when reviewing his checking account.  The bank stated they were two ATM transactions from yesterday for 380.00 each (plus 3.00 ATM charge) in another town.

Bank rep asked him if he used his card recently at a gas  pump.  Happens that the only place he has used his card has been at the gas pump.  I don't know how these thieves do it, but they got his card info and stole a lot of money!

He'll get his money back eventually, but he's got to go thru the dispute process with the bank, etc.  He's not planning on using his debit card anymore at the gas pump.

Hope this doesn't happen to any of you ladies (and men) out there!  Be careful...

Honored Contributor

Re: Do you pay for your gas at the pump with a debit card?

Its called skimming.  Theives have some type of device called a skimmer that is put on the gas pumps and voila!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

I do but I use it as a credit card so I don't have to put the pin number in. They can still scam you with just the number but hopefully it would slow them down at an ATM.

Esteemed Contributor

Never!

Always use credit card to get cash back and for security.

I rarely use my debit card- maybe if I am out of cash and the purchase is under $10.00.

Honored Contributor

Hubby and I have always paid cash for gas... never used in out 38 years together a debit or credit card to buy gas.  

Honored Contributor

We pay cash.  Always.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

A gas pump is one of the places you should never use a debit card. I always pay in cash for my gas. Debit cards seem to be risky to use anywhere now. I don't use mine alot.

Honored Contributor

I don't have a debit card and I pay for everything with a cc. My gas station requires customers to pay in advance at the window before any gas is pumped. There is no place on the pumps to put any kind of cards through. They did this to eliminate the illegal skimming devices being placed on the pump card readers.

Honored Contributor

I never use my debit card for any type of purchases.

Esteemed Contributor

No, there are strict rules in this house about the use of debit cards.  They are never used to pay for anything.

Cogito ergo sum