Honored Contributor

😡 How Companies Are Tracking Your Data 😡

Browsing the Internet

That search engine you’re using to find websites or information tracks your browsing activity. It then analyzes this behavior to​ target ads to you.

Listening to Music

When you activate an Amazon Echo or Google Home speaker with your voice, those companies record what you utter. Doc Searls, editor in chief at the Linux Journal, calls smart speakers “a personal data fire hose squirting from your house.”

Shopping Online

Amazon and other online retailers have made it an art form to track not only your purchasing patterns but also what items you viewed — so that they can recommend more products that align with your interests and needs.

Watching TV

Some smart TVs can collect your viewing data and other information. New models typically ask your permission first, but it's not always easy to understand what you're agreeing to. If you have an older set, it may be tracking you by default — and you'd have to opt out. 

Cooking a Meal

Many new models of kitchen appliances, thermostats, light bulbs, light switches, door locks and more can be controlled from a phone or remote device. “The fact that everyday household products are now connected to the internet presents new privacy and data security challenges,” says Sam Lester, consumer privacy fellow for the Electronic Privacy Information Center. Transmitted data can indicate whether you are home. 

Researching Your Genealogy

Businesses like 23andMe and Ancestry promise to reveal your genetic relatives based on the DNA from a saliva sample. But who’s able to peek at that data? Recent criminal cases reveal that police are working with such services to gather information for investigations.

Visiting Your Doctor

Pacemakers, defibrillators and other medical devices are now often connected to your doctor or hospital, transmitting medical information.

Surfing the Web at a Coffeehouse

Beware of eavesdroppers on free Wi-Fi networks. “The person next to you could be using a tool called a packet sniffer to see what data you’re sending to the websites you visit,” says Ray Klump, professor and chair of computer science and mathematics at Lewis University.

Shopping at a Store

Those cards that get you discounts at stores and restaurants and other businesses are used to track your name, address and what you buy.

Getting Your Computer Fixed

Got a problem with your computer? The repair team at that big-box store can help. But recent reports revealed that employees at Best Buy were paid by the FBI to notify them of possible illegal content on customers’ computers.

Driving

E-ZPass and other toll transponders create a log of your locations. Also, speed or red-light cameras at key locations snap license plate numbers, along with the date, time and location. And some auto insurance companies may want to track your driving with a device installed in your car that transmits data.

Doing Research at the Library

“If you go to the library, and use a public internet kiosk there and forget to log out, the data you saved and the websites you visited will be available to the next person,” Klump says. Browsers offer a setting through which you can clear your history, logins and other info.

Exercising

The fitness tracker on your wrist collects data on your workouts, exercise routines and location. That information is shared with the manufacturers and can be synced with your social media accounts.

Renting a Car

Connecting your phone to the onboard electronics in a rental car could be risky. “Anyone who uses the car afterward may be able to go through the car’s menus and see what calls you made, and they may even be able to find out your contact list,” Klump says.

Taking a Walk

Your phone’s location service tracks you and may share that data with certain apps. Jeff Wilbur, technical director of the Online Trust Alliance, says: “We love the benefit of our smartphones as GPS or to utilize ride-sharing or similar location-based services, but by default, those apps track and log a tremendous amount about your location history.” Also, surveillance cameras are increasingly used in public places to aid police investigations or to monitor for suspicious activity. 

How to Protect Yourself

• Use a VPN. Virtual Private Networks are secure data “tunnels” that protect online activity from prying eyes. Search “VPN” on the web to find services; most charge a small monthly fee.
  • Change web browsers. A few, such as Tor or Epic Privacy Browser, prevent snoopers from seeing the sites you visit and stop websites from tracking you.
  • Search anonymously. Search engines such as DuckDuckGo and StartPage block ad trackers and keep your search history private.
  • Be wary when using apps. Many ask for access to your contacts, photos and other information. Decline first and see how the app runs without sharing that info.
  • Don’t share your location. “If you go for a walk that your fitness app tracked, don’t post your path on Facebook, even for bragging rights. Because then people see very clearly where you live and when you’re away,” says Ray Klump, professor of computer science and mathematics at Lewis University.    

AARP copy/paste link--> aarp.org/money/scams-fraud/info-2018/where-companies-are-tracking-data.html

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Re: 😡 How Companies Are Tracking Your Data 😡

Well, I guess there may be some people that don't know these things, but I would hope most people who use the Internet do.

Honored Contributor

Looks to me like someone got her AARP magazine.  Am sure most responders on your 2 threads today get the magazine......   I got mine and am in the process of reading through it.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ

One of the reasons I posted this article.....

There are far too many posters here who frequently admit/post "they are not technical/computer savvy" or something similar. 

I find this alarming.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Well, I guess there may be some people that don't know these things, but I would hope most people who use the Internet do.

@proudlyfromNJ.....you can bet someone is reading the threads on here now.  You can't hide any thing any more.  Definitely know by the many emails I receive.  

Honored Contributor

@ShowMe wrote:

Looks to me like someone got her AARP magazine.

BUSTED! Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

It may help if you open incognito window to surf the web. Chrome does not keep your browsing history. On IE it's called inprivate browsing. I'm sure some how they can still see what you are doing. LOL!!!

I'm sure they can see us from outer space with their Satellites.

I know Amazon Echo is listening. Sometimes we unplug it if we want to say something we don't want everyone else to hear if you know what I mean. They sure get an ear full listening to us.

I know the Ins Co will offer a lower rate if you put that device in your vehicle so they can track your driving habits.

I know my Fitbit can see I'm walking my rear off. LOL!!!

I imagine they are also tracking our credit card & debit card use.

Honored Contributor

One of the biggest offenders is your discount card at the grocery store or other BM stores.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ

One of the reasons I posted this article.....

There are far too many posters here who frequently admit/post "they are not technical/computer savvy" or something similar. 

I find this alarming.

@Mz iMac

Like my younger sister. She emailed to ask about the Microsoft scam. I told her it was a scam. Nobody is going to call you like that unless it is a scam. They have no idea if your computer is working or not. LOL!!!

My MIL & SIL asked us about it also. Geezzzzzz. My SIL even called the # back. They wanted a credit card #. They hung up on her after she told them she did not have any credit cards. She really does not have any.

Honored Contributor

🤷‍♀️I’m OK with it🤷‍♀️

[ Edited ]

I really don’t have an issue with the tracking.

It’s the world we live in.