Super Contributor

Re: High School student trips abroad-who should pay?

On 3/5/2015 sfnative said:

This is a no-brainer: the parents pay the entire amount, unless there is a scholarship funded by the school or an organization.

I should clarify-should the parents or the student pay for the trip? I don't expect a hand out if that is what you mean.

Honored Contributor

If parents could very well afford it, why not. But, I wouldn't use my house as a credit card, though. Plenty of time in kids' lives to travel during their employment vacations, if their parents cannot afford it now.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/5/2015 petepetey said:

This is a no-brainer: the parents pay the entire amount, unless there is a scholarship funded by the school or an organization.

I should clarify-should the parents or the student pay for the trip? I don't expect a hand out if that is what you mean.

If we're talking about high school aged kids, I still say parents, because in my book, kids have a job while in high school: their "job" is to go to school; prepare for college; do their homework; become involved in school activities; have fun with associatied activities; develop interests and excellence in talent; read-read-read; when age-appropriate, date; MAYBE have small part-time job, BUT only when the junior year has been completed, as this is the most important year.

In esssence, I cannot fathom insisting that a high school student be responsible for "funding" ANYTHING. Such an insistence is absolutely ludicrous in my book. What happened to simply being a student?

Respected Contributor

Since one of the points as parents we try to teach our kids is...........you work for what you want........if they want to go on the trip, the kid should pay..........now this is something that should be discussed when they enter High School.......it's something they need to learn to budget for and save for..........no, they shouldn't work during school, that IS their job.........but, they have summers when they can work and save toward it............................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

I think whatever parents and their child decide is the right answer. Some parents pay 100% for these things and some children contribute to their trips. It just depends.

If the expectation is to have her fund part of it, it needs to be discussed now.

Honored Contributor

I do think that they (some) appreciate their travels more when they are 'adults'. Also, they are more 'grown up' and hopefully 'street smart' when they are older. Sometimes (not always) high school students are very 'young for their age'. Maybe not wise enough just yet.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

On 3/5/2015 Irshgrl31201 said:

I think there is nothing wrong with having a child contribute some part of this. My daughter also went on a trip to Europe for school and she contributed money to it. I had money to pay for the entire thing but I didn't let her know I would be paying for the entire thing. She worked, opened up her trip account and saved a good sum of money and then when she was going to give me the money, I let her know that would be her spending money. Of course there are parents who can't do that and there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking them to chip in for something they want. They start to learn the value of money this way.

My sentiments, also.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

The fact that is not until next year gives your child time to earn a good part of the cost. If you can afford it, I'd pay half. If you cannot tell him or her they can go if he/she can earn the entire cost.

Years ago I was a chaperone for a high school trip to Italy. What a nightmare. Most of the students were only interested in nightlife and the fact they could drink wine.

Esteemed Contributor

when my sons went on trips we paid....but they sure weren't that costly....good grief..that's a lot of money....

Respected Contributor

On 3/5/2015 petepetey said:

If we're talking about high school aged kids, I still say parents, because in my book, kids have a job while in high school: their "job" is to go to school; prepare for college; do their homework; become involved in school activities; have fun with associatied activities; develop interests and excellence in talent; read-read-read; when age-appropriate, date; MAYBE have small part-time job, BUT only when the junior year has been completed, as this is the most important year.

In esssence, I cannot fathom insisting that a high school student be responsible for "funding" ANYTHING. Such an insistence is absolutely ludicrous in my book. What happened to simply being a student?

I started working at 16 and held a job continually until I retired at 57. I graduated HS and college with honors, had plenty of interests and time for friends. I learned to manage my time wisely as well as the value of $$ and saving.

All three of my children started working at 16 as well. They also graduated with very high ranking from HS and college, also were active in music and/or sports. As a single parent, I couldn't afford to pay for "perks" so if it wasn't something we could afford together, they understood it just couldn't be done. I believe that provides a healthy outlook on life and reality.

All 3 of my kids are happy, healthy well-rounded productive adults who are now raising families of their own and their children are being taught that perks have to be earned, not gifted.

If a parent(s) is financially able to cover the cost of such an expensive adventure and wants to do it, that's their business. If they can afford it but ask for their child to earn it either through extra projects for the family or via a part time job, that's their business as well. If it isn't affordable, then that's a necessary lesson to be learned as well.