Super Contributor

High School student trips abroad-who should pay?

For those parents who have allowed their student to go on a trip with anyone of the language clubs-french, spanish, german etc. Who should pay for the trip?

My child is interested in going to France next year. The cost is over $3500 for about a week.

I think she should contribute a ton of that money. After all, we have college coming up and that is going to be an even bigger expense.

How did you work it out if you let them go on a trip?

Respected Contributor

Re: High School student trips abroad-who should pay?

Back when I went, it was a lot cheaper. It was only in the 100s. My parents paid for it.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Sounds as if you are paying for her college in full?

If you are, then why not want to pay for the school trip too?

I paid for my son's grammar school and high school trips in full - he was a minor and didn't have much money. I considered the trips part of his French education - he studied French from kindergarten through Grade 12...and I paid for his college (but only for a local state school and he had to live home).

If he had insisted on going away to school - he would have paid himself. He paid for his master's degree himself.

He bought his own car and paid all his expenses - books, gas, food, computers, etc. - out of the money he earned.

Honored Contributor

I always thought the parents paid for it. I remember a trip when I was in high school, to Spain. I wanted to go so badly but I knew that would never happen because that's the way it had to go and I knew my mother would never let that happen. I don't remember what the price was but, like with Topaz' situation, it was only in the hundreds - probably low to mid - clearly due to what costs were at the time.

I'm happy that, after I became an adult, I did get to spend some time in Spain after all. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I think there is nothing wrong with having a child contribute some part of this. My daughter also went on a trip to Europe for school and she contributed money to it. I had money to pay for the entire thing but I didn't let her know I would be paying for the entire thing. She worked, opened up her trip account and saved a good sum of money and then when she was going to give me the money, I let her know that would be her spending money. Of course there are parents who can't do that and there is absolutely nothing wrong with asking them to chip in for something they want. They start to learn the value of money this way.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

My oldest daughter went to Spain with a school group, she was high school junior. I don't know how other parents handle these trips, they are very expensive today. I suppose it depends on the particular family's income. My girls did not work when they were in h.s. Daddy and I paid for the trip. We knew it was coming two years prior, so we had time to save and budget for it. That year, my daughter did not get "big" presents for Christmas or her birthday. The trip to Spain was her present. And, she did not go on her senior class trip to Bermuda. It was either/or and she chose Spain. Her aunts and her god-mother gave her spending money for the trip, in lieu of B'day and Christmas gifts.

Honored Contributor

I worked summers, so I traveled Europe when it wasn't very expensive. $10 a day, I believe. I bought one of those books, which came in very handy. In those days, you could book small hotels and or pensions from the train stations. All licensed and gov. approved, BTW. All spotless (and I mean spotless!).

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

This is a no-brainer: the parents pay the entire amount, unless there is a scholarship funded by the school or an organization.

When a junior in high school in 1994, my daughter went on a Spanish language emersion trip to San Salvador for 3 months. Cost us $3,500.00 at the time. Can't imagine what it would cost now, but I'd do it again. It was a terrific experience for her.

Honored Contributor

Now-a-days, I'm thinking that folks could enjoy trips once they have good jobs/careers. Many professionals we know visit various countries during their vacation time. And enjoy telling their colleagues all about their travels!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Super Contributor

I can tell you this much: school districts do not have the money to pay for that kind of thing, nor could they without offering it to every single student.