Esteemed Contributor

Re: High School student trips abroad-who should pay?

If you can afford to pay for and want to.then you should. However I,would not be willing to hand over spending money for any expenses not covered in the trip fees. I would expect the child to figure out how to cover those funds themselves.
Super Contributor

Our twins went to Europe last summer with their school. We paid for them to go. We also gave them spending money and they had a great time and it was a great learning experience for them.

FYI... IF your child goes, make sure that they have a Visa bank card, NOT a Master Card because Master Card is not widely accepted over there. We learned that the hard way.

Super Contributor

I think it teaches kids a sense of responsibility to ask them to fund at least a part of the trip.

Not doing so encourages a sense of entitlement.

IMHO.

Super Contributor

Haven't read the entire thread but in the pages I have I have seen nothing about the kids earning the money for the trip.

When my son's HS orchestra went to Germany and Austria, they plane a few years in advance and held car washes, bake sales, yard sales, etc. to help fund the trip. I think it meant a lot more to them knowing they had earned the trip, not just been given it.

Respected Contributor

If I could afford it, I wouldn't mind paying.

I would like to see my child try to earn any amount she could though.

Love the idea of fundraisers too.

It would be nice to allow the child to work toward the goal to help.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

I didn't mind paying for mu my daughter's trip. She leaves in a few weeks for Europe.

Any spending money she wants to bring is on her though. She knew that when we talked about the trip. She's fine with it.