Esteemed Contributor

Re: High School student trips abroad-who should pay?

Most students don't get paid much for their summer jobs. I feel if the student wants to go it is up to the parents to pay for it and/or they can have school trip fundraisers.

Honored Contributor

I paid for all of the trips my kids took...but when they participated in fundraisers, that brought the cost down.
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/5/2015 bikerbabe said: I see nothing wrong with asking the teen to contribute through a summer job. Asking a kid to save $3500 is asking a lot if you want them to keep up with their schoolwork. I think it's good for a child to learn that everything isn't always given to them and some things you have to earn. That seems to be a common criticism by posters on this forum - but kids don't appreciate what things cost and have too many things given to them. If the parents have the money it's not so much the dollar amount the child contributes but the fact that she puts in some effort to earn it. I tutored a lot in high school.

I agree.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

Parents. Mine did for my two brothers and me.

Valued Contributor

When my youngest was in high school, there were yearly learning trips to all different places. They had to do with specific classes. 'trips to Galapagos, Alaska, Florida , Italy, France, and there wer learning trips to the Rockies, survival, first aid, environmental etc. There wer activities affordable and interesting for all the students during this week. Parents paid.

The students kept journals, took tests and participated with , in, the culture as much as possible. They also prepared for the trip by studying.

Honored Contributor

On 3/5/2015 petepetey said:

For those parents who have allowed their student to go on a trip with anyone of the language clubs-french, spanish, german etc. Who should pay for the trip?

My child is interested in going to France next year. The cost is over $3500 for about a week.

I think she should contribute a ton of that money. After all, we have college coming up and that is going to be an even bigger expense.

How did you work it out if you let them go on a trip?

How old is your child and do they have a job? {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Honored Contributor

Well! I am not a parent so I think I'll pass on this one.
hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Mine never went on a trip like that, but I would expect them to earn a portion of the money with their hard work in order to go. Whether they find something out in the workforce, or mowing your lawn and washing your car, any child can work.

As for asking business's to support this as one here said, why? I have had a small business for years and have been hammered with requests for funds. I have gotten phone calls and written requests from schools. None of the requests have come from actual customers so they end up in the trash.

A friend of mine who has a larger business signed up for a mile of road along the highway with his businesses name on the sign. This was his answer to the problem. He gives funds to two groups a year. Each group has to pick up litter on his portion of the highway, either spring or fall and he cuts them a check.

Honored Contributor

Don't they do car washes and bake sales to raise money for this sort of thing? They could and ease the financial load. How bad do the kids want to go, if it's so expensive? Not all parents can afford this and it's probably a great experience for the students. Some might never get to do something like this again. What a perfect age to do this in. I never did that, or was in a position to, but if offered, it would be good for the groups to raise some if not all of the monies.

Trusted Contributor

When our son was in college, he had the opportunity to go to France. We paid and we paid for his college education. He was born knowing he would go to college. And from the time he was born, we put money aside for his education.

But we were lucky. He had a scholarship. We paid his tuition. DH's parents paid for his books during the entire time he was in school. And my parents sent him spending money every single week.

When he came home and said he was going to France to play football, our parents got together and gave us an amount of money for his trip. We paid for the rest of it. It's a once-in-a-lifetime chance for many kids to do that and we wanted him to take advantage of the opportunity. He also went to Germany and I think he was in northern Italy, too, but I don't remember.