Esteemed Contributor

Re: Happy Jewish New Year to All Who Observe

I hope so, Hennala. May you get buckets of rain on your head!!!

Enjoy your chopped liver. Tonight, we finished whatever was left from last night (which was not a whole lot). I do have another pound container of chicken livers in the freezer, so if I'm so inclined, I can make another batch tomorrow. 

I'd love to hear how you make yours. ENJOY! Heart

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Sunny,

My recipe is very basic and simple.

I sautee my sweet brown onion (vidalia or Mauii) in butter til very soft. Then I remove to a bowl

I sautee my livers til done and chop and then add to the bowl. I mush them together. Then I usually add two hard boiled eggs chopped. i mix that in. I add pepper and a tad of salt.

How do you do yours?

Esteemed Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

Hi Sunny,

My recipe is very basic and simple.

I sautee my sweet brown onion (vidalia or Mauii) in butter til very soft. Then I remove to a bowl

I sautee my livers til done and chop and then add to the bowl. I mush them together. Then I usually add two hard boiled eggs chopped. i mix that in. I add pepper and a tad of salt.

How do you do yours?

Exactly the same, except I use olive oil instead of the butter. Otherwise, identical recipe! Hmmm it's so good; I wish I had some more left over for tonight. 

I do have another pound of chicken livers in the freezer but who wants to make it now? I want it already done, ready to eat. 

Do you have any leftovers? 

Honored Contributor

image.jpg

My second "daughter" a family friend, has just become Jewish! I'd better learn some things! Have a Happy New Year!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Can you provide me some more info on this I have never ever heard of this 

thank you 

@ms traditional wrote:

actually there are 4 Jewish new years -  this one (civil calendar)1 Tishrei  counting from Creation; 15th ( tu ) of  Shvat - marks the new year of trees which is important in the rules of agriculture  ;  1 Nissan before Passover which is the new year of the months, connecting many  holidays to the Exodus,  and  1 Elul, the new  year of the tithing of cattle

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Esteemed Contributor

Yesterday was also Yom Teruah, the Feast of Trumpets (Lev 23:23-25).

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Respected Contributor

OOPs! Sunny,  I'm sorry that I put the butter part in the recipe.----I am Reform and don't keep kosher. I should have just said olive oil.

I have quite a bit left. mr henny only nibbles at it and I am gorging pretty much all by myself.

Re read my "recipe" and see that I wrote several times--"sautee"  I truly do know better. Must have not been focusing.

Esteemed Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

OOPs! Sunny,  I'm sorry that I put the butter part in the recipe.----I am Reform and don't keep kosher. I should have just said olive oil.

I have quite a bit left. mr henny only nibbles at it and I am gorging pretty much all by myself.

Re read my "recipe" and see that I wrote several times--"sautee"  I truly do know better. Must have not been focusing.

Hennala don't be sorry. I always use oil for cooking. Rarely do I use butter at all. I have a few sticks in the freezer if I need it for a recipe but mostly it's oil, preferably EVOO. 

You can freeze the chopped liver. It does freeze well and you can take it out when you're in the mood. Eating the same thing day after day can get tedious. We're DONE with our roasted chicken. Three days in a row is ENOUGH. The "unstuffed" cabbage is going into the freezer tomorrow, if I can find room. 

Who still has holiday leftovers? 

Respected Contributor

These days ninety percent of what I cook is with EVOO, but my mother used butter for the livers and I just have flash backs when it is cooking. 

I think I may freeze my left overs. I still have another container of livers and am going to make chicken livers, onions and mushrooms in sherry tomorrow night.

Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Can you provide me some more info on this I have never ever heard of this 

thank you 

@ms traditional wrote:

actually there are 4 Jewish new years -  this one (civil calendar)1 Tishrei  counting from Creation; 15th ( tu ) of  Shvat - marks the new year of trees which is important in the rules of agriculture  ;  1 Nissan before Passover which is the new year of the months, connecting many  holidays to the Exodus,  and  1 Elul, the new  year of the tithing of cattle

here is a link to get you started:  http://judaism.about.com/od/jewishculture/a/Why-Are-There-Four-Jewish-New-Years.htm