Esteemed Contributor

Re: HUGE increase in SPAM calls!

All I have is a cell, and they are coming in there too.  Ticks me off.

Honored Contributor

@elizabethl123 wrote:

I GET THE SAME CALL OVER AND OVER  SAYING THEY OWE ME MONEY ON MY ELECTRIC BILL    TOLD THEM IM AMISH HAVE NO ELEC LOL   NOWTHEY ASK DO YOU HAVE GAS TOLD THEM YES BUT I TAKE SOMETHING FOR ITLOL

@elizabethl123 

LOL! I'll have to remember those!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

It happens on both my cell and landline.  I don't even answer the phone any more most of the time.  At least on my cell I have a spam blocker and that  stops most of them from ringing through.

@DrKelli  What do you use as a spam blocker on your cell phone?  I've started getting more spam calls on mine.  

Respected Contributor

YES! The last 3-4 days they have at least tripled for some reason.  Most listed as "unknown name" aka scam artist. One of them called 8 times yesterday according to the number that popped up. I NEVER answer anymore. Never. Then they know they have a "live one". I let that little man that came with the phone answer for me so they don't even hear my voice on the answering machine. I get any and all messages and if it's that important they will call back. I never answer. 

Respected Contributor

@cotton4me wrote:

@DrKelli wrote:

It happens on both my cell and landline.  I don't even answer the phone any more most of the time.  At least on my cell I have a spam blocker and that  stops most of them from ringing through.

@DrKelli  What do you use as a spam blocker on your cell phone?  I've started getting more spam calls on mine.  

@cotton4me it's the Hiya app.  I just use the free version.  You can actually 'block" numbers with it.  You may get some calls getting through, but you can decline them and then report and block them as spam.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@elizabethl123

LOL!

years ago, when I still answered the phone, I would get calls about waterproofing the basement. I would tell them no way, that's where I keep the alligators!

never called back!

Respected Contributor

If I don't recognize the #, I don't answer. Occassionally, a message is left, but rarely.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IMW wrote:

Another land line keeper here. Yes, Medicare enrollment and elections both dramatically increase the spam calls.

I found out that AARP and my auto/house insurer sell

phone # lists. Opted out of where I can- but some can't 

get out of. 

@IMW 

The majority of these spam/robocalls stopped when I opted out of AARP's marketing blitz....yep, they sell your number and info...read the fine print of their privacy agreement....so unless you opt out.............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

I blocked about 10 calls in the past 3 or 4 days.  I'm getting an increase in calls (landline) too.

Honored Contributor

There are only like 5 numbers that I will actually answer when I see them come up on the caller ID.  The rest go to voice mail and are spam because  99.9% of the time they don't leave a voice mail.