Trusted Contributor

Sharing:

Heads up, consumers: When running the essential errand that is grocery shopping during the coronavirus epidemic in the U.S., there’s no need to wipe down the food packaging after you’ve returned home, according to a federal agency.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) attempted to quell Americans’ fears that their food packaging may be contaminated with the novel coronavirus, as recent studies have suggested it can live on certain surfaces between hours and days.

But in a statement posted to its website on Thursday, the FDA said: “We want to reassure consumers that there is currently no evidence of human or animal food or food packaging being associated with transmission of the coronavirus that causes COVID-19

“This particular coronavirus causes respiratory illness and is spread from person-to-person, unlike foodborne gastrointestinal or GI viruses, such as norovirus and hepatitis A that often make people ill through contaminated food,” it added, noting there are currently no nationwide shortages of food, though some stores may be out of certain products. (Speaking of, what drives people to panic buy?)

The FDA also provided tips on how to protect yourself, other shoppers and store employees when buying essential items. For instance, it advised to:

CORONAVIRUS: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

• Prepare a grocery list in advance 
  • Wear a face mask or covering while in the store (this is in line with recently updated Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [CDC] guidelines, and is now mandatory in hot spots like New York)
  • Practice social distancing while shopping, make sure to stay at least 6 feet away from others 
  • Thoroughly wash your hands after returning home and again after putting the groceries away 
Honored Contributor

@SuhseK    Thanks for posting this.  It's good to know.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

So if the virus lives a certain number of hours on surfaces, the person bagging your groceries might be asymptomatic, handles the food and bags, you pick them up, someone explain how buyers will not pick it up on their hands?  

That applies to those stocking the shelves.  

I'm not buying it.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Grocery handling

[ Edited ]

I'm not doing that anyways. I just picked up $200 worth of groceries. I'm not washing all that stuff. LOL!!! It is what is it. I just make sure I wash my hands after handling it before eating etc.

Not everyone wearing masks or social distancing. I use self-checkout.

Honored Contributor

I would think that washing your hands thoroughly and not touching your face is protection enough.  It may live on urfaces but if it doesn't come in contact with your mucous membranes you are probably safe as long as you wash your hands often.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

So if the virus lives a certain number of hours on surfaces, the person bagging your groceries might be asymptomatic, handles the food and bags, you pick them up, someone explain how buyers will not pick it up on their hands?  

I'm not buying it.  

@Foxxee That's why you use sanitizer when you get to the car and wash your hands when you get home and after you put your groceries away. 

Of course if you're more comfortable wiping your things down, go ahead.  Whatever makes you comfortable. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz Self checkout really is the way to go now, if available. It isn't where I shop. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I'm not doing that anyways. I just picked up $200 worth of groceries. I'm not washing all that stuff. LOL!!! It is what is it. I just make sure I wash my hands after handling it before eating etc.

Not everyone wearing masks or social distancing. I use self-checkout.

I agree. I'm not washing all of that stuff either. Most of it sits in the fridge, freezer or in the pantry for days before I use it so I would think ther germs are gone by then. I do wash my hands before and after putting them away. 

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

I'm not buying it.  

@Foxxee   In the stores I shop, the employees are wearing masks and gloves, and the checker has those and a protective shield, could barely understand what she was saying, looked like an operating room nurse, lol.

Respected Contributor

Re: Grocery handling

[ Edited ]

They've told us how long the virus can live on surfaces and to leave our boxed deliveries outside yet they say mail and food and its packaging is OK to handle.   I realize the chances for contamination may be small but please don't give me conflicting data.

I am not concerned about the employees of the store, but the customers.  Who knows if a shopper has the virus, who could have coughed or sneezed into their bare hand while shopping then picks up a piece of fruit/vegetable and put it back down; or picks up a package to read the inform and puts it down.