Respected Contributor

i still haven't heard from my tax preparer

i thought i heard that the date was extended to pay your taxes, but you still had to file by the deadline.

i turned in all my stuff to my preparer a little before the lock down, and haven't heard a word. 

my last guy (in new town now) always had me come in and pay my fee to them, and pick up my folder of the current filed taxes. 

anyone else?

Honored Contributor

Re: i still haven't heard from my tax preparer

@kittyloo 

The filing deadline for tax returns has been extended from April 15 to July 15, 2020.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden  thank you

Trusted Contributor

I was told the deadline to file and pay Federal was July 15. My state has also extended the deadline to July 15. H & R Block does my taxes and I can not pick them up until the end of next week.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My state wants the return on time; any payment can be made a month later.  Because of that the extended Federal file date doesn't help me much.

@kittyloo  When is the last time you talked to your preparer?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

That's for federal.  I live in Va and my accountants have been working on my extensions.

I hand them what I have and they submit it and then file the extension.

I never have everything I need from some of the businesses.

Respected Contributor

@esmerelda  i talked to them when i dropped off my stuff. haven't heard a peep from them.  it's a small office, just 3 workers or so.  i'm sure they have plenty of room to distance themselves. not even sure if they are open or not.  maybe i should call and see.  

Esteemed Contributor

In NJ federal and state returns and payment owed are all due on July 15.

Honored Contributor

I had an appointment to sit with my tax preparer to do my taxes. Well I had to leave all my papers ( the receptionist didn't even want to touch it) and was told he would be in touch. I didn't hear from him for the longest time, it's a good thing there is an extension because I would have missed the filing date. I usually gave him a check in person, I paid him on his website with a credit card. I guess the accounts feel with the July 15 deadline they have plenty of time to prepare your taxes.

Esteemed Contributor

@kittyloo  I think that's a good idea...to call. If they aren't open today, leave a message and/or call again Monday. 

With so many people working from home, if they try to call you, you might not recognize the number. Hopefully they would leave a message. OR due to the sensitive nature of the work (your SSN, financial life), maybe they can't work from home 

Hopefully you'll know something soon. 

Keepin' it real.