Respected Contributor

I saw two male goldfinches at my bird feeder this morning.  I have never seen any goldfinches before today at my feeders.  I live in NC.. They were so pretty with that bright yellow color.  I usually have cardinals and eastern bluebirds.  I hope they come back for regular feedings..

Edited to say that the color is more of a bright yellow than a golden yellow as I originally stated.  

Honored Contributor

@KatieB ............I live in NC too.  We have some goldfinches every summer.  I hope yours stay around they are so beautiful.  We also have 2 families of bluebirds, along with the regular other song birds.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

i love them, so pretty! we used to have them at our feeder and at the big sunflowers.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

@KatieB : aren't they pretty?

Goldfinches love nyjer seed. If you buy a finch feeded they will eat the small black seed through the sock which often comes with the seed Keeps larger birds and squirrels away.. You will get other finches and small birds, too. If you feed the goldfinches they will return to your feeder daily until the cold weather returns.

Respected Contributor

Re: Goldfinches

[ Edited ]

We have lesser goldfinches here and they are attracted to running water. We have them frequently at our little fountain.

Honored Contributor

Hi, @KatieB --  congrats on your pretty ones!  Hubby is a fiend about birds, and I can confirm @queendiva 's counsel that goldfinches LOVE and you can attract many with nyjer/niger (we've seen it spelled both ways) thistle seed.

This year he has attracted throngs of them with it, little darlings...

Honored Contributor

I'm in. Maryland and we've had goldfinches all year 'round this year.  But the males have only recently changed color.  About an hour ago, I looked out and there were at least a half dozen males in full color and one female at my feeders..  LOVE gold finches!  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tucsongal wrote:

We have lesser goldfinches here and they are attracted to running water. We have them frequently at our little fountain.

@tucsongal   I'm going to have to get my bird baths out..  I put them inside for the winter.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Okay, I've got to buy a nyjer feeder too...   Along with the seed..  I've got to get busy!  

Respected Contributor

There were 4 male goldfinches at my feeder today and several females, too. I love seeing them! 😊