Honored Contributor

That was completely uncalled for on his part. If he didn't want you to take them off, he should have come over then, not wait until after and berate you for it. 

Honored Contributor

I don't know. I probably would have burst out laughing at him.

"I am so sorry. You got me. I voided my coupons?! What are we going to do? I can't let you break the rules just for me when I was so clearly in the wrong here! Should we call Chobani and explain? I can let them know it was all my idea and you had nothing to do with it. Is Dannon the parent company? Do you have their number? Lets get this all straightened out right now before it's too late!!!"

I just find petty tyrants hilarious.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

I pretty much stick with the cashier-manned lines, just because of stuff like this.  We have a big off price section in our market, dents and discontinued items.  Obviously they aren't just scanned.

Honored Contributor

@MOMMAVik wrote:
You did nothing wrong. It should've been clear to that employee that you weren't trying to misuse those coupons. I get that working with the public can be difficult but employees must be professional. The store manager needs to know about this.

---

Well technically, she did do something wrong @MOMMAVik . The stickers said void if removed and the OP peeled them off. Nevertheless, the attendant saw it and didn't speak up at the time so there was no reason to embarrass the OP after the fact.

Respected Contributor

Re: Grocery Store Visit

[ Edited ]

Thank you @AuntG. You are right. She didn't read the terms on the coupon (missed the small print). An honest mistake. 

At any rate, employee was wrong to publicly berate her.

Respected Contributor
  1. I can remember years ago my mom  would go grocery shopping with my grandma. She Starting to get a little demencha. A couple girls in checkout was making fun of my grandma. My mom went to the  manager and told him What was going on. He said point out the girls . he must have fired them. They were never seen again. It was a small independent market so they couldn't have been transferred. I worked in a super market for 20 years myself and I saw many people that shouldn't have been working with public.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Have been told that before.  When coupons are only good for specific items clerk must remove them.  Otherwise people would just go around pulling off coupons to use on what they want ...which might be different than intended.  Now you know and will be more careful next time.

@CrazyDaisy   Coupons will not work if the correct item has not been purchased/scanned.

She could not have used a coupon for yogurt on another product or even on a different brand of yogurt.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@bcherry01 wrote:

This just baffled me and annoyed me.  I always use self-checkout.  Yogurt on sale 10 for $10.  Some had stickers on them for .75 cents off/some .50 cents off.  I checked the dates and they were the same as the others.  Just certain flavors that were not selling maybe.  So I bought four of the ones with stickers.  I'm checking out and removing the stickered coupon for each one.  When I'm done I have to give the coupons to the assistant.  Well I got scolded in front of all within earshot.  Was told I shouldn't have removed the sticker because it said (in print so small you would need a super magnifier to read it) "void if removed."  So I apologize and said it was my fault for not reading it and that would be OK if he could not give me the value of the coupon.  "No, no ... I'll do it this time but I should make sure not to do it again."  Then he adds "I watched you take them off so I guess I can honor it this time."  

OK you put me through your shaming for what????  If you were watching me remove them, why didn't you tell me at that moment."  

Just makes me wonder about a person's motivation.

@bcherry01   If I was admonished like that publicly, I would have probably just left all my groceries right there and walked out.  Granted, that would have been juvenile on my part and it would be "cutting off my nose to spite my face" since the items were a good deal, but sometimes it's just more fun to take the low road once in a while.  "Clean up on register 7". 

And not for nothing but I have left a cart full of groceries when I had a problem at a certain store.  I left the items for the surly employee to deal with and put back on the shelves.  Not that I'm proud of that, but sometimes the customer IS right.  ?

@SloopJohnB  Yes that would have been cutting off your nose to spite your face.  I probably would have forgotten about it by the time I started my car and drove out of the parking lot.

Smiley Indifferent

Honored Contributor

I will never understand why people will leave their carts in the middle of a check-out line or an aisle in the middle of the store.

It proves nothing.  Now the person has to go to yet another store and start shopping all over again.

And guarantee the employees just shake their heads and laugh.

Super Contributor

I just had to come back to post again.  I stopped again at the store today and had to pick up an item and saw some more yogurts with those coupons and it was such a good deal I got more.  When I got to the checkout I scanned them and set them aside for the attendant to remove the stickers.  This was a different attendant.  So when going thru the process it asked "do you have any coupons" I chose "yes" and it said to give them to the attendant.  I had to make her come over and she said "oh, you're going to make me work for it and remove the stickers?"   I said "sorry but I didn't want to get scolded in front of everyone by removing them for you."  She said "What????"  So I explained the whole scenario for her and she said "you're kidding me."  Nope, not kidding.  She couldn't believe it.