Respected Contributor

Re: Grocery Store Stock Issues?tg

My local Wal-Mart had very limited Pasta for a month. Only a few boxes of stor brand. The other chain was fine but .50 a box higher. O.K. now but higher priced of course. I couldn't find eggplant for a few weeks for some reason. Back this week.

Sometimes eggs are bare but my poor little Wal-Mart has refrigeration problems. Several times down the past two months. I have walked in to totally bare , cheese, meat, eggs milk and some produce So those poor employees unstock and a day later restock. My neighbor is a mgr and she said they are getting good at it.  Such a mess and must be frustrating. They have a sign out hiring $16.00 to $17.50 for shelf stockers  We are in tourist season and typically  due to an increase in  summer shoppers expect bare areas. A holiday like the 4th is crazy.

@JamandBread  We had yellow store brand mustard on sale for $1.58  20 oz.and one cent off on gas at a designated gas  station.

I vary a menu or use a different chicken part. No biggie and grateful for the supply we do have. I think there is more consolidated shipping due to fuel costs slowing things down.

Respected Contributor

Yes I see some items missing....like Kroger brand saltine crackers for a month now.  I finally found them in the Wheat version Kroger brand (2 boxes left) and haven't seen a cracker since!  I usually go to Costco and for some reason all the food items that are prepared have not been restocked for 3 weeks now.  I am hoping the roast and chicken dishes we were able to buy up there come back soon.  I sure miss them!

Trusted Contributor

Walmart has empty shelves/cases. Publix just moves things around so it doesn't look empty but I can't find things that were always on the shelf. Aldi is often out of staples. I'm a planner so I need to always have a plan of action. Mine:

*I keep a pantry stocked but make sure to use things up by their expiration date. This causes me to constantly keep track of what is available especially as I use up specific items very quickly due to how I cook. When I have one left on my shelf, I buy 2 more. If I can't find it (due to OOS at the store), I buy 3 the next time I see it. For items I use constantly, I buy in sets of 6-8 at a time and I ALWAYS leave at least 1 item for someone else.

* We bought a deep freezer. We purchase fresh slaughtered hens from numerous farms and freeze them whole (roast chicken is so versatile). I buy eggs (chicken and duck) from the same place. We purchased a whole cow. I now have plenty of beef in my freezer. Same with a hog. I supplement with other meat/poultry items I find at Aldi's and Costco. 

* We have plenty of places to pick produce and Strawberries are a HUGE crop here. I retaught myself how to can and now I have strawberries preserves and frozen strawberries galore; same with blueberries. I "freezer preserve" as well so many sauces, piecrust, meals, soups, etc are ready when needed. 

*I adapt our meals based on what is on sale and is available. I've noticed that rationing is in place so that tells me to stock up on that item. Every time I shop, I'll buy the allowed amount and into the freezer or pantry it goes.

Am I worried. A tad. I spent my summers (and early Fall) on the family farm so I know they pattern of planting and harvesting of crops and livestock. I've discussed this with local farmers and know this is their business but they'll take care of their family first and not sell to the public should it become necessary. Where we used to live, fresh water was in the back yard due to a good sized creek; here, not possible. We can't grow produce due to the HOA but we can have plant gardens so our lanai is decorated with herbs and veggies. 

All for that "just in case" situation. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Valued Contributor

Re: Grocery Store Stock Issues?

Since I retired and have plenty of time to devote to whatever I deem necessary I read the sales circulars and make lists predicated on who has the best deals on what.

Living in metro Boston we have anything and everything within just about arm's reach here.  There are at least 9 supermarkets/wholesale clubs within a 5-7 minute drive from my front door and I usually get my groceries from 3 or 4 of them every time I need groceries.  The gas is not really a concern because they are really that close. and by using their sales my savings are quite considerable.  I have not seen gaping holes in the shelves at any of the stores here, although I do think the practice of "hole filling" is used sometimes.  Usually, different stores are completely out of different things, and those things are usually (for me anyway) little indulgences rather than necessities.  While I have no trouble yet in getting any meats, bread, dairy, veggies or fruit that I want, I am sure that many of you have experienced the concern and trauma of a serious lack of Pillsbury Toaster Struedel. (Strawberry OR Raspberry.)    Also, my local Market Basket today had not a single donut of any flavor by any brand. I think I sniff a crisis!  Someone else mentioned pasta being scarce a while ago and that was true here as well, but it seems to be fully returned.  Tomorrow I will venture out again to see if Hannaford or Shaws can fill that empty corner of my freezer that little Poppin' Fresh calls home.  If Coke Zero ever goes missing look for me on the evening news.

Esteemed Contributor

When I was at the store the other day, I saw the entire frozen fish department was empty.  Perhaps the freezer was out of order.

@porcelain 

I don't think anyone is "freaking out", just taking note of what they are seeing.  Certainly in my case, I was making an observation.   Since we have lost 3 grocery stores in our area fairly recently, it isn't unreasonable to think we may lose a 4th one.  So maybe just hold back on the snark a little.  

Honored Contributor

There has been empty shelves here lately and each time I go to the store the same shelves are still empty.  Woman Frustrated

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

Here in South Jersey, I'm seeing more empty spaces each time I shop. The freezer aisles seem to be getting pretty bare. Some canned goods have largely disappeared. I think it's a combination of supply chain issues and some people stocking up to save money down the road. There was no Pepsi of any kind in my Walmart on Tuesday. That's the first time I've ever seen that. Very little Coke also.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Regular Contributor

Was in the grocery store this morning. Northern NJ Wegmans. Just about everything was well stocked and the store was busy. 

Honored Contributor

@Jo1313 wrote:

@fingerlakesny wrote:

I live in western NY and I go shopping every week. There are no shortages of any kind in any of the stores I have been to - Wegmans, Tops, or Wal-Mart. I am going to start going every other week because of gas prices - $4.79 a gallon. 

I live in the southern tier in NYS..1 supermarket in town.

Still can't find dry cat food..canned is getting a little easier to find but not all flavors..Can't get individual juice boxes or individual  bottles of  juice.

Paid $4.90 for gas yesterday

@Jo1313 

Yep, while most grocery store inventories are up to par here in South Texas, a most curious commodity is hit or miss---DRY CAT FOOD---in particular Purina One or even Purina Cat Chow---I went to several stores and even checked Petsmart, PetCo, Chewy and Amazon and am having a hard time finding it---and what's even odder is Purina is running commercials talking about how Purina is number ONE in dry cat food ....so if its #1 BRING US THE INVENTORY! 😼  My cats aren't happy with other brands...and I dont want to feed them what I call "junk food dry cat food" thats known for messing with cat's digestion systems...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Have you not been to a grocery store in a while? The nationwide grocery store chains are all bare. Just another sign of these lovely times.

Stores in Reno are not bare, especially the walmarts, so it is not nationwide