Respected Contributor

Re: Going To A New Hair Salon

Hope you are thrilled with hair. I didn't realize how expensive hair styling is. I have very little hair--cut it myself, never been dyed. I wear a wig daily.

Respected Contributor

$5 is fine, unless the shampoo person is washing a lot.

Respected Contributor

@IMW  My Auntie has very thinning hair.  She has Several wigs in different colours and styles.  They all look smart on her.  She changes them at her pleasure and so there have been a few times when I'd go to meet her in a crowded venue I'd have to yell "ANTIE LU!"  Because I didn't know which spare hair she was wearing!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2 @I wish I could find great cut and color for the price you mention. Go, and give th new place a try. The salons I've used always split tips, but I'm not sure how they determine who will get what. 

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Jordan2 @I wish I could find great cut and color for the price you mention. Go, and give th new place a try. The salons I've used always split tips, but I'm not sure how they determine who will get what. 

My salon, my girl does everything, perms are $65.00. I give a 15.00 tip. I write cash on my check, so she isn't paying taxes on it. Don't know where you live, but it sounds expensive to live there. I always give $100.00 to her at Xmas. I only go every 7 weeks, because I can curl my own hair. Never have had it colored.

Super Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@Mindy D wrote:

My salon, my girl does everything, perms are $65.00. I give a 15.00 tip. I write cash on my check, so she isn't paying taxes on it.

So she's a tax cheat? Wonder why she thinks she's special enough not to pay taxes like she should.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2   I hand a $5 bill to the girl who washes my hair when she is finished.

My stylist receives 20%.

I used this even before COVID so since the salon lost quite a bit of business last year I'm sure it is appreciated, since he is the owner.  The girl who washes hair lost even more because some people never think to tip her.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never tipped a 'shampoo' girl at my last salon...if my stylist chose to use one...that was up to her.

I tip 20% and I expected them to share however they desired....but I don't feel I should have to pay more because she was overbooked and someone else washed me out.

My current stylist does it all and I tip 20%.

Reading all your posts, I may be getting a good deal.  I pay $50 and that includes tip.

It includes color and wash...I air dry (leave wet) and curl myself...

This started back during NY dumb rules of no blow drying....we have kept it up with leaving wet.  She can fit more people in and I save money.  I have pretty long hair and her blow out and style time was long.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes I dread when my stylist hands me off to someone else to shampoo.  Especially if that person has talons for fingernails (males included!).

Or if they concentrate on rinsing one side more than the other and I have to keep telling them I'm still soaped up!

For some reason, tips can't be included on my credit card, you have to have cash.  I don't understand that one...? 

That's been at several salons and one I was told because someone was pocketing part of the tip money, if you left it at the front desk.

Honored Contributor

Admittedly, I go to Great Clips to get my haircut (and I color it myself), but I just wash my own hair that morning in the shower, as I always do, and then go get my hair cut. 

Sometimes they cut it dry, sometimes they spray it wet and then cut it.

Before I started going to Great Clips a hairdresser friend cut our hair at home so it's been a long time since I've done the full thing at a salon.

Can't you just wash your hair at home? Save money and a step in the process?  I understand if you're getting it colored, they'll wash it after they rinse the color out, but for haircuts only?

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?