Honored Contributor

Question For My Fellow Southpaws

I've always HAD to put my right sock on first, then the left. I recently tried putting on my left sock first but it just was too weird. Seriously, I'm not being funny. Do any other lefties do stuff like this?

I have other lefty quirks as I know other lefties who do, too!

Honored Contributor

Re: Question For My Fellow Southpaws

It doesn't matter to me which sock I put on first. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids 

I DO put on my left sock first......

I also find even though I'm left handed I do a lot of stuff with my right hand....cut with scissors, when I'm cooking stir stuff with my right hand, I'm pretty good at typing on a laptop keyboard one handed using my right hand too ...One thing I alwas found difficult using my left hand is ironing, the ironing cord gets in the way.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Im not a southpaw but I dont think which sock you put on first or shoe for that matter has anything to  do with being a righty or leftie.  I believe it comes from as far back as when you were taught to dress yourself and as our peronalities develop with our little quirks we begin a habit.  As we age some habits stay the same and sometimes they change.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@Spurt I am the exact same way with the things I can do only right handed, pretty much. I cannot iron with my left hand. Tried for years when I was young and gave it up. When I did iron (I quit years ago!) it was ONLY with my right hand.

I know other lefties who absolutely cannot iron lefthanded. None fo us can figure out why!

Honored Contributor

@Imaoldhippie I see what you are saying and agree to some degree. But this habit only started a few years ago! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am a lefty but it doesn't matter to me which sock goes on first.  

I prefer to wear a watch on my right wrist.  I can't remember which hand I iron with as it's been years since I had the iron out.

I have a terrible sense of direction though.  Don't know if this is a left handed thing.  This drove my late husband nuts.  I would point left and tell him to go right when giving him directions while driving.

Honored Contributor

@PinkyPetunia Agree about the watch. I've never known a lefty who wore it on the left side.

Honored Contributor

I iron with my left hand.

I use scissors in my right hand, I tried left handed scissors once and that was the end of that. 

I use a chef's knife in my left hand but I use the dinner knife in my right, I've always held the fork in my left hand.

Glass measuring cups are made for right handed people, if you want to see the cups and ounces, not the metric measurements, you need the handle to be on the right side. 

Fancy tea cups are made for right handed people too, if you use your left hand to pick it up you don't get to see the main design. 

Honored Contributor

I'm a left to right girl...just like in reading.  

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.