Honored Contributor

I called to make an appointment to get my hair cut, colored, and blown out and discovered the owner of the salon retired as of March 27. I am friendly with the woman who shampoos there, I got the information from her as my stylist couldn't get in touch with me (she has a job at a nearby salon).  This is actually a good excuse to go elsewhere, I like my stylist very much, she really listens and tries but I haven't been happy with my hair for a long time. I am excited to go somewhere new ( my sister goes to this salon and I am using her stylist), I need a change. The only thing is it will now cost me $133 plus tips, I was paying $110. I don't mind the extra cost if I love the cut and color. By the way, do you think $6 is enough of a tip for the woman who shampoos your hair, I think $5 isn't  enough?

Respected Contributor

Re: Going To A New Hair Salon

Hi @Jordan2... I just went for my hair appt today and got a cut and color and gave the Shampoo lady a $5 bill today. I found myself last time giving her and my stylist overly generous tips. I can’t afford it anymore. Hope u like your new stylist when u go!
Esteemed Contributor

My hair dresser is a one woman show. She cuts, colors, washes,etc. for a cut and color for me plus blow dry and a simple haircut for husband she charges $140. We give her a $25 tip.

Honored Contributor

I wear a pony tail.....It's FREE

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

I do think 5 is good for the shampoo-er.

At the salon I use (which I switched less than a year ago, so I hear ya!) I go to the owner and I usually don't tip her.  But I know she tips the shampooer, too. 

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2   You are too generous.  $3 is enough but give her what you want.  What ever happened to 15% tip for hair cuts and color?  Now everyone is expecting 20%.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I have a niece that works at Supercuts and I have mentioned before that for years we lived too far from her salon to warrant going to her.  When we downsized we were much closer so we switched salons and I have to say I was amazed at how much less expensive it is.  We do not get any other discount other than a senior discount and we are paying 2/3 the price for the same services we were getting at our previous salon.

Just FYI.  

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2  - I think 5.00 is very generous.  

Honored Contributor

My salon has a similar charge, but it's a one-woman operation.  I tip $25.  If the owner were to use a shampoo assistant, I would still tip $25 but split it however I wanted between the 2 workers.  I would most likely tip the shampoo person less than $5 most months and add a couple of dollars when an appointment fell near a holiday.

Trusted Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I wear a pony tail.....It's FREE

I hear you - I cut and color my hair also and I cut my husband's hair IT'S FREE

YAHOO