Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy

-

Since she said she doesn't have enough room for it all and will need to give some away, did you offer to take the excess and keep it for her?

-

Or just keep it. For yourself.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappyWhat's the chance she actually has little space right now in her freezer? Right now I could store only a couple of burgers - the rest I'd have to offer to the neighbors -- if I could find someone who still eats meat in any quantity.

BTW - she could have done just that and just said thank you for thinking of me. Do you have some experiences with her that would lead her to avoid telling you? I am not in favor of involving a third person.

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappywrote:

Bought my MIL a food gift. Steaks, burgers, chicken, hot dogs, potatoes and a dessert. I have gotten this in the past from someone else, I liked it and appreciated it. Shortly after my MIL received it, my husband got a call from my BIL asking why he sent that. The following day, my MIL said she doesn't have enough room in freezxer and she will have to give some of it away. It's clear to me that she called my BIL and complained about it and doesn't like it. I thought it's a nice gift and would make it easier for her to plan meals and since she doesn't get around easily, one less trip to the grocery store. I don't know why this is bothering me so much. My husband doesn't some bothered.

@ScrapHappyIfeel for you. I hate when it happens.

I would be thrilled with the meat.

<p>

My advice (learned the hard way 40 years ago)? Just ask people what they would like. Don't buy people things you don't know for sure they want. Maybe she really didn't have room????

<p>

If you can't be sure, don't buy anything they have to display or store. If someone does not want something, they won't like it.

<p>I would hate: a plant, a throw, a mug, a frame, a candle, bath or lotion stuff, and most things others would like. Goes to show you never know. I think an ornament is the worst. You get it, see it a week or so and have to store it...Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

If MIL eats meat, then I think you selected a very nice gift. The only problem I'd have in gettjng somehing like that, is limited freezer space. Maybe she wanted your BIL to store some of the gift box at his place, prompting him to question why you gave her a meat package.

Respected Contributor

If a box of meat showed up on my doorstep unexpected, it would stress me too. My freezer is full.

Valued Contributor

@Imaoldhippiewrote:

@ScrapHappy................IMO it was a nice and thoughful gift. I think it was very tacky and inconsiderate for your MIL to call her son and complain about it. If it were me that would be the last present she ever got from me and I definitely would confront her about it.

Exactly right!

Respected Contributor

@geezerettewrote:

@ScrapHappy

-

Since she said she doesn't have enough room for it all and will need to give some away, did you offer to take the excess and keep it for her?

-

Or just keep it. For yourself.

We live far away. I think she'll give it to neighbors or maybe even some to my BIL.

Esteemed Contributor

Firm believer of trying to be grateful for any gift but now it concerns me that gift giver is their wasting money. Sounds like the bottom line of your situation was the gift was overwhelming for her and she cannot store it.

Maybe your hubby can recover what can't be saved by her.

At least they were honest but afraid to say it to you but don't want you to be that generous again.

Trusted Contributor

@ScrapHappywrote:

Bought my MIL a food gift. Steaks, burgers, chicken, hot dogs, potatoes and a dessert. I have gotten this in the past from someone else, I liked it and appreciated it. Shortly after my MIL received it, my husband got a call from my BIL asking why he sent that. The following day, my MIL said she doesn't have enough room in freezxer and she will have to give some of it away. It's clear to me that she called my BIL and complained about it and doesn't like it. I thought it's a nice gift and would make it easier for her to plan meals and since she doesn't get around easily, one less trip to the grocery store. I don't know why this is bothering me so much. My husband doesn't some bothered.

@ScrapHappyI feel for you! I think it was a very thoughtful gift! We have received gifts twice, I think it was from Kansas City Steaks, and we appreciated it so much. Everything was packaged so well that it really did not take up a huge amount of freezer space.

It is unfortunate that it was not appreciated, not only for the thought, but for the fact that these are not inexpensive meals. Since you had it sent, I will assume your MIL does not live near you? If she does, I would tell her "I'd be happy to take some of it off your hands." ...or " to come over for dinner." Woman Happy

BTW, making a generalization, spouses are often not bothered by this sort of behavior because they grew up with their parents. They know what they are like. Been there! Woman LOL

P.S. I see they are still removing paragraphs! I hoped they had fixed it over the weekend. Guessing the boards are defiinitely not a priority in this busy shopping season!

Respected Contributor

@Group 5 minus 1wrote:

I am a vegan. i would not want a gift like this. In these timesi it is difficult to find the correct gift. I am sorry for your hurt and angry feelings.

Just because you liked it doesn't mean someone else would.

Oh please. I sincerely doubt she would have sent this if her MIL were Vegan.