Regular Contributor

Some people just don't know how to accept gifts in the spirit in which they are given.  I learned the hard way with someone I considered a friend a couple of years ago.  During my convalescence after having had a mastectomy, I decided to make an afghan for this person-when it was completed and I gave it to her, her reaction was that it was "gaudy" - no thank you and no appreciation for the effort that went into it.  The next attempt was Christmas in 2021.  I bought the soup and sandwich set from QVC and made several loaves of homemade bread as a gift for the same person.  Her reaction was "I have no idea what I am supposed to do with these things".  Again, no thank you was forthcoming for either the TempTations set nor the breads. To be honest, I was very hurt.  I have since eliminated this person from my life.  I have always believed that you should accept gifts graciously and not openly convey your displeasure with them.     For those who have been hurt by ungrateful people, I am sorry that you were not treated well.  For those who have been ungrateful and only had negative things to say about gifts they have received, I feel sorry for you.  It is important that you look beyond the gift and instead be thankful that someone thought enough of you to give you a gift. 

Honored Contributor

Two words...........gift card

Esteemed Contributor

@Whitney400 wrote:

Some people just don't know how to accept gifts in the spirit in which they are given.  I learned the hard way with someone I considered a friend a couple of years ago.  During my convalescence after having had a mastectomy, I decided to make an afghan for this person-when it was completed and I gave it to her, her reaction was that it was "gaudy" - no thank you and no appreciation for the effort that went into it.  The next attempt was Christmas in 2021.  I bought the soup and sandwich set from QVC and made several loaves of homemade bread as a gift for the same person.  Her reaction was "I have no idea what I am supposed to do with these things".  Again, no thank you was forthcoming for either the TempTations set nor the breads. To be honest, I was very hurt.  I have since eliminated this person from my life.  I have always believed that you should accept gifts graciously and not openly convey your displeasure with them.     For those who have been hurt by ungrateful people, I am sorry that you were not treated well.  For those who have been ungrateful and only had negative things to say about gifts they have received, I feel sorry for you.  It is important that you look beyond the gift and instead be thankful that someone thought enough of you to give you a gift. 

@Whitney400  did she give you back the afghan? Why did you even give her a gift after what she said the year before? Well at least you came to your senses lol. Did she keep the other gift? I would have said "I know what to do with it" and would have taking it back.

So sorry that happened to you.

Regular Contributor

I never gave her the afghan.  I donated it to a local charity.  They used it as a raffle prize and raised quite a bit of money for their cause.  I told her to return the second gift, but she never did.  She is a hoarder, so who knows where it ended up?  All I know is that she is out of my life.

Respected Contributor

@Whitney400 wrote:

Well said~100% agreement with you.

How terrible to say those things to you...those were thoughtful, kind gifts, I don't care what she felt about their "usefulness" to her, the thing to do was to consider the thoughtfulness, be gracious, and maybe find a way to enjoy those things, if only for a while. Doesn't know "what to do" with homemade bread?...and a soup and sandwich set? Seriously. Use it for a while or don't then pass it on if it's truly of no use to you, but be gracious to the person trying to please you with a thoughtful gift. Keep the rest of your thoughts to yourself! She sounded so nasty. That is just bad manners, plain & simple.

Sounds like a good idea to cut that person out...you don't need that. I kind of feel sorry for someone like that that doesn't know any better, and sounds kind of sad as a person. But as for you, you're better off.