Esteemed Contributor

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — An airline ground crew worker was pulled into the engine of a plane during a fatal accident at an Alabama airport, authorities said.

The National Transportation Safety Board released the additional information about the Saturday accident at the Montgomery Regional Airport that claimed the life of an employee for a subsidiary of American Airlines.

The agency said in a statement that the “aircraft was parked at the gate with the parking brake set when a ground support personnel was ingested into the engine.”

The accident is under investigation and a preliminary report is expected in two or three weeks, the agency said.

The accident involved an Embraer 170 aircraft operated by regional carrier Envoy Air, a subsidiary of American Airlines. The flight was set to depart Montgomery for Dallas-Fort Worth before the accident, according to officials.

The airport said a ground crew worker for Piedmont Airlines, another American subsidiary, was killed.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with the AA/Piedmont Airlines/employee’s family and ground crew," the airport said in a statement.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Yes, how tragic.  I see these folks out on the tarmacs, when I'm traveling.  It looks risky to me, but this is the first time I've heard of a tragedy like this. 

Esteemed Contributor

Definitely doesn't sound like a great way to go....

Regular Contributor

Re: How Awful....

[ Edited ]

Horrible, poor guy.  I can't imagine what the first responders had to deal with. 

I just read it was a woman.

Respected Contributor

What an unimaginable, heart breaking  tragedy. Difficult to even imagine...

Trusted Contributor

Disturbing.

About a year or two ago I read about a young guy who was killed on the job, he somehow fell into a WOODCHIPPER.

It was his first day on the job, he was only about 19 years old.

Couple months ago I read about a man who fell into something at the factory, a vat of molten metal, or something like that? You probably read about it - I believe it was in Texas.

So sad. It's bad enough when someone loses their life, but to lose it in such a manner is more than horrifying....I don't know how their families cope with it.

Honored Contributor

@BoopOMatic wrote:

Disturbing.

About a year or two ago I read about a young guy who was killed on the job, he somehow fell into a WOODCHIPPER.

It was his first day on the job, he was only about 19 years old.

Couple months ago I read about a man who fell into something at the factory, a vat of molten metal, or something like that? You probably read about it - I believe it was in Texas.

So sad. It's bad enough when someone loses their life, but to lose it in such a manner is more than horrifying....I don't know how their families cope with it.

@BoopOMatic 

The only good thing is it happened very very fast.   I am interested in what is reported going forward.  After all, everyone is very aware of how dangerous an airplane engine can be ... and they are ****** loud, so how does something like this even happen?   

We shall see ....

Honored Contributor

One of my first jobs ever.  It was part time at a printing company.  One of the workers fell in to a machine there.  It was pretty horrible.  I didn't see it.  I was in the office part when it happened. And I was still in school at the time.  My parents wanted me to quit. 

QVC Customer Care
Respected Contributor

I want to know how this happened. There are strict rules for these situations, and something went wrong in following them. It's tragic. Piedmont said they are "sad," which I thought was a pretty mild word for such an event.