Honored Contributor

Re: Flannel sheets

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest wrote:

Living in maine ,i like flannel sheets in winter, i use to buy cuddledowns sheets,but can no longer afford them ,they are nice  LLbean comes in second.

Thank you everyone.  @goldensrbest  I checked LLBean, and their sheets are much wider than the ones I saw on Garnet Hill's website.  They are 20% off today, so I think I'll order them.  I hope I don't find them too warm.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

We use flannel sheets in the winter and love them. We didn’t care for the polar fleece at all. 

Same here.  I found those Malden Mills polar fleece sheets pilled really bad.

Esteemed Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

I have never done flannel sheets but I will tell you I just got my first set of Polarfleece.  I really like them!  I have a bunch of sets of the VelvetLoft and I think the Polarfleece is warmer. Almost too warm right now and that NEVER happens to me.  

I think there is a TSV coming on the Polarfleece later this month.  They may be worth a  try if you are looking for warmth and something of that texture.   

Same here, @Laura14. Love my flannel, but really love my polarfleece. They're much warmer and softer for winter than flannel.

Honored Contributor

I much prefer flannel in winter,the polar fleece just are not natural material,and i sweat with them on the bed.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I used to use them and as long as they are good flannel sheets, they were fine.  What you don't want are the cheap flannel that is rough and ends up pilling.

A few years ago I bought 2 sets of the sheets from HSN called Soft & Cozy.  They aren't polar fleece but I guess that would be the closest thing to these.  My DH absolutely loves them, go figure, and often they are just too hot for me if I'm suffering from night sweats.  

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I much prefer flannel in winter,the polar fleece just are not natural material,and i sweat with them on the bed.

That's what I'm afraid of with the polar fleece @goldensrbest.  I like 100% cotton sheets so they can breathe.  The polar fleece sheets are polyester.  When I bought a new mattress a couple of years ago they gave me a set of polyester/microfiber sheets.  They were really nice and soft, but I sweat terribly with them.  I ended up donating them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack and everyone:

Hi! I used to buy QVC's Northern Nights flannel sheets but when they stopped carrying them, I had to look elsewhere.

There was a thread a couple of years ago about flannel sheets and I wrote down all the ideas of other places to look. I found two sets at the end of last winter on sale from Vermont Country Store and they are very nice.

In case you want to comparison shop, here were the other places to look for flannel sheets:

• LL Bean
  • Lands' End
  • Plow & Hearth
  • Vermont Country Store
  • Bed Bath & Beyond
  • Garnet Hill
  • Pottery Barn
  • Macy's - Martha Stewart Luxury Flannel (they are on sale)
Honored Contributor

@NickNack@goldensrbest@febe1@MarthaStewardess@tansy

Here is my latest run-down on sheets:

1) Pottery Barn cotton sheets ... a little stiff but nice after 4 washings

2) polar fleece Malden mills easy and not too hot for us DH likes them BEST and I don’t have hot flashes, but last week with 103 fever I was wondering if natural fiber would have beaten out the polar

3) Garnet Hill... beautiful natural fibers just beautiful have not purchased sheets

4) LLBEAN... great flannel; heavy; didn’t like laundering.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack, chiming in here.  I love LLBean flannel sheets.  Here is what I do.  I love cotton percale, the old good kind that are so hard to find.  I also love flannel.  In our winter, I use an LLBean flat flannel and a cotton percale fitted sheet.  I can't stand flannel on pillow cases so I use percale there as well.  Love it!  Not too hot but still very cozy.

I have Costco flannel which are supposed to be good ... made in Portugal ... but I haven't used them yet.  LLBean gets softer and softer after washing.  Love!!!  

Good luck!  LM

Honored Contributor

I have flannel and the polar fleece, love them both, flannels are not as warm or soft as polar.