Super Contributor

Fed Ex now requiring signature

I just got an e-mail from Fed Ex stating signatures are again being required.  Or am I reading it wrong?

FedEx Delivery Signature Update
As we continue to support the global supply chain, we’re committed to keeping customers, team members and your packages safe. We will reinstate effective September 15, 2021 our physical signature requirements for paid, premium signature services and commercial deliveries* across the U.S. for the following signature types:
• Adult Signature Required (ASR)
• Direct Signature Required (DSR)
• Indirect Signature Required (ISR)
The reinstatement of signature requirements applies to shipments delivered by FedEx Express®, FedEx Ground®, FedEx Home Delivery®, FedEx Freight®**, FedEx Office® and FedEx OnSite locations.

I wonder, will we be required to go to a Fed Ex office to pick up packages if we're not home at delivery time?

Man plans. God laughs.
Respected Contributor

Re: Fed Ex now requiring signature

I got the same notice and I thought the same thing!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I guess would need to know what they mean by “physical signature requirements” and know how was handled during the pandemic. Looking at it, I think it’s very confusing, but can be read that they are changing how they are obtaining the customer’s signature when you select one of their signature options. Not that every package needs a signature. They may have changed how they were delivering if you selected that option during the pandemic.

If you didn’t select those service types, I don’t think the change (whatever it is) applies. It's something they are reinstating, not something new.  That's my take on it - would be a nightmare if they needed everyone's signature.

Trusted Contributor

Can you imagine how much this is going to hold up deliveries, most especially during the Xmas season? Why are they determined to make our mail slower???

Esteemed Contributor

I think that the reason that they are doing this is to try and cut down or eliminate theft by porch pirates, and people lying and saying that they didn't receive something, when in fact, they did.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Simple.  IF the shipper  REQUIRES a signature for delivery then you have to sign their handheld unit.   

During the pandemic no signatures of the recipient were directly required.  The driver could just sign "covid" as the signature on their handheld unit.

Respected Contributor

I hope not; the nearest FedEx to me is 50+ miles away!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Must be too many thieves stealing things (packages) off people's porches or front doors. Then there's the pictures of driver's pitching packages off roads with no people living on them.  How else do they get packages to people?  The worse people behave  on the one hand, the more people on the other hand have to tow the line.  

Honored Contributor

I agree this is for when the shipper requires a signature and not to all Fedex packages.  No need to get in an uproar.

Regular Contributor

I also interpreted it as referring only to packages that are shipped with a signature requirement. A few months ago I subscribed to a wine service. At some point during covid they started just asking my name and entering info themselves. I got the first shipment I'd ordered for a three months a week or so ago and I once again had to sign their machine. 

I will say I felt the email was a bit confusing, even tho I regularly receive packages requiring a signature. Seemed like they were explaining what they are no longer doing.