Honored Contributor

Re: Favorite elementary school memory

@Zaimee wrote:

@Caaareful Shopper 

There is an elementary school in Miami, Fl. named after this poet, Dunbar Elementary .

I was born in The Bronx.

Smiley Happy @Zaimee  South Bronx, then Parkchester.

Moved to Brooklyn when I was married (two bad decisions Smiley Very Happy).  Actualy, I eventually loved Brooklyn too!

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Bridgegal @Your story reminded me of a girl in about eighth grade who kept putting up her hanr to go to the bathroom but the teacher wouldn’t let her.She finally stood up and peed on the floor while the whole class went crazy.That teacher was in trouble for that as the girl had a bladder infection and kept telling him that.

There was a girl in my class, I think maybe the second grade. She raised her hand to go to the bathroom, the teacher wouldn't let her. She urinated right there in her seat, it had to be so humiliating for her. After that the teacher let her go to the bathroom when she needed (I'm sure the teacher was in trouble for what happened) My mother told me if I had to go to the bathroom and the teacher said no, just leave, I'll deal with the teacher!

Respected Contributor

I have one you won't believe. When I was in first grade  (many many yrs ago as I'm 55 now)  I had a rather eccentric teacher & she took us over to a field across the street from our school. We explored different trees, leaves, etc. Well, lo and behold she came upon a stinky dead cat. It was disgusting with flies all over it--just yuck!  She told one of the boys in our class to go to her room & get her scissors from her desk. She took the scissors & proceeded to cut open the dead cat for an instant science lesson. She probably put same scissors back in her desk drawer for later use. Can you imagine what would happen if a teacher did that today?  Will never forget that ever.

Valued Contributor

I moved to Whitestone,Queens.Flushing HS.

Husband born in Bronx, moved to Brighton Beach. Lincoln HS.

Had good education in NYC.

After 45 years in Florida, still a New Yawker!

Respected Contributor

1. I loved to go to the penny candy store on the way home from school.  I ususally had a nickel and I picked out my treasures to eat on the walk home.

2. Waking up with measles and realizing I did not have to go to school for a LONG time. Smiley Happy

3. Licking the paste....it came in a huge jar with a red label and smelled soooo good.

4. My presence requested at the principal's office....I lived on the edge a bit.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Super Contributor

Regarding teachers names:  My first grade teacher was Mrs Young and she was old.  My third grade teacher was Mrs. Old - you guessed it - she was very young

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

I don't have any favorite elementary school memories, sorry.

Neither do I.  Couldn't wait to be done with it.  Back in the day teachers were allowed to be "mean" and they took full advantage of it.

Hated it.

@faeriemoon   So true!  I also wasn't particularly happy in elementary school. 

I also had a lot of mean teachers....remember how we weren't allowed to talk at all?!  There was punishment for even the smallest infractions.  I was a quiet & shy kid. One time someone who was sitting in front of me turned to ask if I had an extra pencil and could they borrow it.  I answered and was caught talking...had to go sit in the corner. 

This would never happen today.  I'm glad teachers are for the most part nicer & have more empathy for kids today.

Respected Contributor

my 1st thru 4th grade school teachers were old women when i was in school in the mid 60's. They all had grey hair worn in a bun and old fashioned dresses and shoes.   i would guess they were marking time for  retirement. when i was in 2nd grade one day there was a ruckus and two teachers dragged in a boy by his neck. they yelled at him saying "you can't learn so you are going back to 2nd grade!"   he had been in 3rd grade. they sat him down hard on the side counter where they kept the  Encyclopedias. He was crying. He stayed in our class for the rest of the year and on into Jr High. That would NEVER happen now!

my favorite memories were recess and the gliders. there were four metal flexible kind of ladders suspended from a central pole.  each kid took hold of one of the ladders and then  all would run around the pole to get it going and swing around the pole. yea we got hit in the head by those things almost daily.  if you got hit too much the recess teachers would tell you to find something else to do on the playground!   can you imagine the libility today!

Honored Contributor

I grew up in a housing project, no one had much money. You would give the teacher money for milk and a cookie weekly. My third grade teacher Miss Sweeny knew the financial circumstances for many of her students, she bought the box of cookies with her own money, she never wanted a student to not have the treat. If you paid for the cookies, you got two, she didn't play favorites, everyone got a cookie. She was one of my favorite teachers.

Respected Contributor

I went to a Catholic elementary school and have many good memories of how kind many of the nuns were to their students.    It was during my third grade at the school that my mother became ill and had to spend a few weeks in the hospital.   Since my dad worked shift work he wasn't always able to be home when I got off school.    The nuns would take me to the convent on days that he worked and I would do little jobs such as dusting the piano keys, etc.  Sometimes they would even give me piano lessons at no cost.    

They pretended that I was helping them but in reality they were really giving me a safe place to wait until my dad returned from work.    I never forgot how kind they were to me.  

At Christmas time my mother used to make many varieties of candy and she would take them to the convent for the nuns.   I remember going with her one evening and when one of the sisters opened the door and invited us in I could hear the  other sisters laughing in the TV room.   It turned out they were watching "You Bet Your Life" with Groucho Marx.  

Those memories made me realize that although they were nuns and chose that life they still were just regular people like the rest of us. 

I never had the calling to become a nun but I always had the deepest respect for them.