Honored Contributor

Marketing to the Modern Family

Based on this infographic, do you see evidence of retailers changing the way they market goods and services?  

Honored Contributor

Re: Marketing to the Modern Family

During the daytime hours, I see mostly GRANDMOTHERS, towing a couple toddlers, out doing the shopping...............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I don't pay any attention to market advertising. I think it's mostly gimmick anyway. I decide  and I don't care how they advertise

Esteemed Contributor

Can't read this- print is way too small.

In the NYC area, a sign of status among younger couples is having more than one or two children and a nanny, full or part time- even if the mother is at home or works from home. 

Bonus points for the big dog added to the family.

As always with change comes both the good and the bad.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I already have seen a marked difference in advertising, but mostly toward focusing on the younger generation, not necessarily by family structure.

Companies are changing logos to eliminate script and just show a picture, i.e. Target.

( Even though Target has used the bullseye for quite awhile).

Mastercard, AT&T are other examples. 

Television commercials also seem to want to coddle and swaddle the customer.

Yes, a product should be promoted as enhancing one's life, but you almost think a representative will be holding your hand if you choose their services or item.

Just saw a news segment on "micro weddings". We called these small weddings.

It is not a new concept. 

Yes, I am a slightly aloof and jaded Gen X woman, admittedly.

Honored Contributor

Yes.  I've seen a shift in financial companies marketing to women.  Dads are much more involved with kids/meals/homework etc.

Respected Contributor

If you’re feeling less included in QVC’s target base lately, you might be right, particularly if you’re married:   

Report: More single women in workforce than ever before – economic impact is profound

There are more single women in the workforce than ever and, besides to whom merchandisers are advertising, it's having a major effect on what they are offering on the market.  In 2018, single women, aged 25 to 44, made up 41% of working women.  By 2030, that percentage is expected to rise to 45% and, according to research by Morgan Stanley using data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, it will be the largest share in history.

Women have always been considered the principal shoppers in America’s homes.  According to the same research from Morgan Stanley, single women outspend married women. 

Among others, a few particular sectors expected to benefit most from this demographic are apparel / footwear, personal care, casual and fast-food dining and, of all things, luxury cars.  In spite of an aging population, athleisure wear is projected to be among the biggest winners, but casual and fast-food services are expecting to reap growing benefits as our society transitions from the traditional family. 

Finally, Morgan Stanley predicts more women will buy more cars in the future than they do now. It came as a surprise (to me) to read their top pick in this category is Tesla.

Source: Anneken Tappe, CNN Business; Thurs., August 29, 2019
Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

Absolutely.   I have been watching this very closely for some years.  Not sure what YOU have in mind, but this is what I have been observing.  

I see no change in the products as much as it is the ads themselves.  It's not only the family, it's also pairings, and belittling specific actors in the ads.  

It isn't that the "Traditional family" has changed, it's those with a special interest in wanting it to change who have been working on our impressionable youth to change their perception of the "family."

It's been very obvious to me companies have been marketing to TraditionALL for quite some time, slowly increasing over time.  Now, it's pretty much all I have seen.  But it appears to me considering these people are still very much a minority, it seems advertising has been pushing a message along with their products.

It isn't so much the companies whose products are being advertised as it is those who have the most influence on them.  "Promoting" TraditionALL that in reality actually targets a very small number of people who would be interested, not the Traditional family majority who isn't, is as I see it, a form of messaging trying to transform "the Traditional family" into TraditionALL by changing their minds.  So, they are not only selling products, they are selling TraditionalAll without saying so in the ad.  

Humans are very susceptible to advertising not realizing that seeing something repetitively often changes minds.  If that's all they see, they are more likely to follow suit.  

There is some reason they are doing it.  It's clear to me they are trying to change "Traditional family" culture into TraditionAll.  Advertising is just one method for accomplishing this goal.  Others are being used, as well.

So, yes, advertising to the masses has dramatically changed.

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Absolutely.   I have been watching this very closely for some years.  Not sure what YOU have in mind, but this is what I have been observing.  

I see no change in the products as much as it is the ads themselves.  It's not only the family, it's also pairings, and belittling specific actors in the ads.  

It isn't that the "Traditional family" has changed, it's those with a special interest in wanting it to change who have been working on our impressionable youth to change their perception of the "family."

It's been very obvious to me companies have been marketing to TraditionALL for quite some time, slowly increasing over time.  Now, it's pretty much all I have seen.  But it appears to me considering these people are still very much a minority, it seems advertising has been pushing a message along with their products.

It isn't so much the companies whose products are being advertised as it is those who have the most influence on them.  "Promoting" TraditionALL that in reality actually targets a very small number of people who would be interested, not the Traditional family majority who isn't, is as I see it, a form of messaging trying to transform "the Traditional family" into TraditionALL by changing their minds.  So, they are not only selling products, they are selling TraditionalAll without saying so in the ad.  

Humans are very susceptible to advertising not realizing that seeing something repetitively often changes minds.  If that's all they see, they are more likely to follow suit.  

There is some reason they are doing it.  It's clear to me they are trying to change "Traditional family" culture into TraditionAll.  Advertising is just one method for accomplishing this goal.  Others are being used, as well.

@Foxxee. Don’t know if this is what you are talking about but I know a lot of people who are so disgusted with the new traditional families now shown on tv. These are people in my town who feel this way and it horrifies me. Although I don’t think you have come to the same conclusion that I have.

Honored Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

Thankfully, advertisers are becoming more sensitive to the fact that the traditional family is changing and they are depicting these changes. 

My grandson has 2 moms and many of his little friends in first grade do too. Our world is changing and there is room for everyone. Gone are the days when a child can be bullied because they have a “different” family. I welcome that change and I am glad that advertisers are depicting an all inclusive world...