Honored Contributor

Re: Fastest Way to Get a Thread Shutdown...

If opinions were permitted, but at the first sign of a vile personal attack, that was taken down, social media would be healthier and a better place for true exchange of ideas.

The problem is, I guess, that at least at first, you'd need very, very vigilant moderation to consistently weed out the rude and the cruel.   After constant removal of posts that focused on defaming, instead of the topic, I believe there could be discussions of almost anything, even topics that have a very wide range of disagreement.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

HTrashing a host especially unkindly, or offering political opinions, pro or con, of the government or any policy regarding government will be a deleted post. Guaranteed. But offering an opinion about decor, products whether offered elsewhere or on QVC, or even human behavior and “moral” issues. are rarely eliminated. I’ve seen many posts that start with “what would you do” and go on to relate a life experience that might have more than one perspective inviting comments or opinions. The threads stay, the commentary thrives. 

Plenty of kvetching and moralizing is not interfered with by the Mods here. I don’t find the standards arbitrary, but they are very consistent, if narrow. There’s loads of forums on the Internet.  If you like the type where anything goes, you can participate in more than one. 

This forum is one of three that I read and post to. I enjoy it, but it does not meet my every need to express myself or find conversation. So I have other places to find my posting and thinking style appreciated.  And on one of the other forums I belong to, I am a Moderator.  I have to read every post and sometimes decide if a contribution meets the standards and relevance defined in that forum’s Welcome message that establishes parameters. I have to be judicious but it’s still me deciding on someone else’s post, opinions, values, in context. 

You can be disappointed here occasionally and still gratified elsewhere by free expression. Life is full of compromises. And I find lots of situations, not just forums, expect some restraints about complaints. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell

Thank you! WOW that was so well put...I need to think about the topic of defaming more deeply!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

reminds me of yrs ago my boyfriend at the time had a gold space between his teeth (since replaced by white filling) and I thought he had corn between his teeth. LOL

I go "hey, you got corn between your 2 front teeth" LOL I think people want to know if they look kooky.  I don't think you should be purposely mean to the hosts, that's not right, but, if you have an opinion about how you liked them better with more wgt or maybe a different hairstyle that's not being wicked.

Wicked and mean comment would be like "man, she's gained wgt I didn't recognize her what a oinker" something like that.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1@I try to never hurt feelings or say mean things but I have been deleted more than once.I think if you don’t see things the same way as some others then they get offended and report your post.It is almost impossible to post often and not be pooled for something but I guess that is the same as day to day life where people will have misunderstandings.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @LTT1.  But you are one of the so sweetly reasonable people who post-- I've never seen you not give someone the benefit of the doubt, and you are always so civilized.  Doubt you need to do any soul-searching!

Esteemed Contributor

In today's world, anything political is off limits. Anything attacking another individual will also be removed. The moderators are doing a great job IMO. This Forum has become a nice, friendly place to visit. Last year it wasn't nearly as safe. I'm glad they are doing their jobs. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady

How is the convalescing going?

if you posted elsewhere I will go and look.

I hope you are getting back to your regular self!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

Hard one to figure out as consistently is not often in play. I really don’t care as I just leave and go somewhere else for a bit. Come back later. QVC had a lot of posters before Pinterest,YouTube, Instagram and more. I am so glad we have all this, it is endless. Anything, any interest no matter how small is out here. I have to put myself on a timer to get other stuff done. A great time in technology. I am glad I got to be a part of it. How can anyone get bored?

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

just post your opinion and wait!

you cannot just "post your opinion" without reading the rules of the game.

i think many do it without even caring.....even though they DO know the rules.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein